How to stiffen suspension/stop swaying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 04 LT last year it already had Bilstein 5100's in the front and 4600's in the back. I dont know how old they are as the truck had several owners. The truck has a bounce but what I dislike the most is the side to side sway on the freeway and over bumps. Its pretty floaty and has a body roll.

The truck has new sway bar end links as well as new inner and outer tie rods and an alignment.

I am right on the brink of needing new tires

Will a new set of 5100's fix this problem? Are there other, smaller suspension parts that would fix the issue before going for new shocks? Thanks.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would really depend on if the shocks are blown but I would definitely replace the rear shocks with the 5100 so they match the front as a starting point. Then probably look into Eibach sway bars.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The Hellwig sway bar kits are solid steel instead of the hollow tube design like the Eibach. I have ordered the new front and rear Hellwig kits at ebay, to be installed soon. They are kit #'s 7701 and 7702. $7701 is $365.51 and 7702 is $262.59 and I bought from seller "neverenoughauto".

Not saying the Eibach kits are not quality at all but I would prefer the solid steel bars instead of the hollow bars. I just installed new KYB shocks but I agree with @91RS, at least match the 5100's or install known age all new shocks. The shocks control front and rear spring bounce oscillations and to a point the sway from centerline but the sway bar kits really will stiffen up that sway. I am really looking forward to the different comparison when I get those Hellwig kits on.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid vs. hollow alone do not make a sway better better or stronger than another. There’s a lot more to it. Material, lengths, angles, end length length, etc. all play into it.

To be clear, I’m not saying the Hellwig bars are better or worse than Eibach because I’ve not used them or researched them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the truck came with ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride it originally had the self-leveling Nivomat shocks on the rear. If, when the rear shocks were replaced with conventional, the springs weren't changed to a stiffer version then that could cause a problem with the ride and stability. Look in the glovebox at the RPO codes; do you see a ZW7?

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hellwig sway bar kits are solid steel instead of the hollow tube design like the Eibach. I have ordered the new front and rear Hellwig kits at ebay, to be installed soon. They are kit #'s 7701 and 7702. $7701 is $365.51 and 7702 is $262.59 and I bought from seller "neverenoughauto".

Not saying the Eibach kits are not quality at all but I would prefer the solid steel bars instead of the hollow bars. I just installed new KYB shocks but I agree with @91RS, at least match the 5100's or install known age all new shocks. The shocks control front and rear spring bounce oscillations and to a point the sway from centerline but the sway bar kits really will stiffen up that sway. I am really looking forward to the different comparison when I get those Hellwig kits on.

I second the Hellwigs, from what I've researched they are the stiffer of the bars out there but do come at a steep price that for my needs makes it worth it. The difference in trailer control is pretty big with just a rear bar upgrade. The front bar is coming soon...

Also, tire pressure and sidewall size can make a huge difference in side-to-side sway. I swapped my 20s with a small sidewall setup to some factory 17s with a 70 series sidewall and couldn't believe how much more the truck seemed to woller in turns and bumper. It was also noticeably a smoother ride since there was more sidewall cushion.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I second the Hellwigs, from what I've researched they are the stiffer of the bars out there but do come at a steep price that for my needs makes it worth it. The difference in trailer control is pretty big with just a rear bar upgrade. The front bar is coming soon...

Also, tire pressure and sidewall size can make a huge difference in side-to-side sway. I swapped my 20s with a small sidewall setup to some factory 17s with a 70 series sidewall and couldn't believe how much more the truck seemed to woller in turns and bumper. It was also noticeably a smoother ride since there was more sidewall cushion.

Yep, forgot about tires. You can have two tires that are both 70 series but one has more belts in the sidewall and would be stiffer and firmer in curves. You see trucks, like for instance a dump truck, that travel on uneven ground and therefore need a taller sidewall to absorb the impacts that they would experience. Short sidewall tires cannot handle things like going in and out of an entrance and cutting it short and hitting the tapered curb at a higher spot as opposed to where the taper is shortest. Hell, even the tire pressure will contribute to sway control.

Because I drive my rig pretty hard around here I want the stiffer solid sway bar set up. There is a lot of construction going on near me where there is a lot of work being done to ramps and bridges and new roads and there is one ramp that I use all the time that used to be a curve but is now an S curve with pretty quick switchbacks on it, because I take it faster than others. I can't wait to try that with my new sway bar set up. I hope it is not temporary and will be switched back to just a sweeping curve. I live in an upscale neighborhood and there are several high end cars that go thru there pretty fast and I like to see if I can keep up with them with my full size rig that is taller. I want to see the look on their faces when we all stop at the end of that ramp where there is two left turn lanes next to each other and I can look over at them.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been eyeing the eibach kit just because of cost and I'm sure it would be an improvement over stock components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan