How to remove that OnStar module from windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that OnStar GPS module was just attached with double-sided tape, but no. There's a damned bracket that extends under the headliner.
How do I go about removing this useless thing? Before I go exploring can I get at it by dropping the overhead console?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that OnStar GPS module was just attached with double-sided tape, but no. There's a damned bracket that extends under the headliner.
How do I go about removing this useless thing? Before I go exploring can I get at it by dropping the overhead console?
if it goes under the headliner then you will need to pull the headliner down to find out more, not a lot of the early models had that style with the antenna on the glass, I assume you are talking about the antenna that is on the drivers side rear glass?

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it goes under the headliner then you will need to pull the headliner down to find out more, not a lot of the early models had that style with the antenna on the glass, I assume you are talking about the antenna that is on the drivers side rear glass?
Thanks for replying, but I mean the GPS unit that is to the right of the rear-view mirror on the windshield. I am finally getting around to replacing my cracked windshield and want to get rid of this thing at the same time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, but I mean the GPS unit that is to the right of the rear-view mirror on the windshield. I am finally getting around to replacing my cracked windshield and want to get rid of this thing at the same time.
Can you post up some pictures of it and I assume this on the 2001 in your signature?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NoReverseYukon

I stumbled on this in another thread on our forum...
Post #10 had some notes...

The guy had a 2001 Suburban.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also remove the overhead console and see if you can access it through there. It removes with a phillips head screw driver, and has two clips in the back; the console has male tabs that slide into female hooks in the roof.

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post up some pictures of it and I assume this on the 2001 in your signature?
This is the guilty party : IMG_20230304_115109195_HDR.jpg
I just removed mine and left the bracket. I'm planning to eventually install a dash camera and possibly mount it to that bracket.
Does this thing just pull off the bracket ?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the guilty party : View attachment 393611

Does this thing just pull off the bracket ?
Yes, it slides right off the bracket. Just pull down towards the dash. Might take a bit of force to get it to start moving, but once it starts moving it should slide off with very little resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972