Removing interior OnStar antenna?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about the OnStar antenna on the inside of the rear window in the cargo area (see pic). Is there factory window tint film under this antenna that will get damaged if I remove it? I drive a 2001 Suburban LT. I already removed the outside antenna, the module by the rear view mirror, and the dash buttons with no problems. Thanks for the help.

picture.jpg

CrunchyBrown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are you really sure its your onstar antenna??? it might be a gps or alarm antenna.. the onstar and antenna is located in the roof i believe

OP
OP
D

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so. On the 2001, the antenna was mounted to the glass on the opposite side of this module. I don't have any roof antennas. Also, when I disconnect the wire the onstar light would turn red. Then back to green when plugged back in.

CrunchyBrown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have all wiring diagram if u want i can check if you want..

anyways i dont think the window film will be damaged.. the windows are factory smoked so its not a film is the actually the window is alil dark.. so if you have put aftermarket tint and is only the factory smoked windows it wont get damaged..

and yes even tho gm wont provide onstar to our tahoes.. it doesnt exist.. but they still manage to find signal but cant connect..

the led on the rear view mirror(in my case) will turn green if everything is correct even if i cant connect it will turn green telling that everything is connected fine.. removing anything that is on onstar related will make the led turn red..

since onstar for our trucks are now obsolete.. you can remove it and the red led dont worry about it it might be anoyying but only when u look at the rear view mirror

MrFleming007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine, no issues. The windows are factory tinted, so there is no film to get scratched. Its held on by a strong double sided tape. I used a thin razor blade and done glass cleaner for lube and just worked around the edges until it popped off. The wire I just tucked back into the headliner.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas.

OP
OP
D

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the old school limo antenna was no prob. Removing the module by the rearview mirror was a pain, so happy it's gone.

OP
OP
D

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you are asking about the module by the rearview mirror. Sorry, didn't take pics when I did it. Not sure if the design has changed, but I have a 2001 Suburban LT.

I removed both sun visors and the overhead console. Visors: Once the screws are removed, pull out the visor and there will be a wire harness you can disconnet to completely remove the visor from the headliner. The overhead console has one screw towards the front and one clip at each corner towards the back. Remove the screw then pull the back part of the console down with your hands. Disconnect the wire harness to completely remove it from the headliner. At this point you can remove the small black Onstar microphone clipped to the side of the overhead console. Now the headliner can come down enough so you have room to work.

My Onstar bracket was secured by one rivet. You can drill it out and remove the bracket. I was lazy and didn't want metal shavings everywhere, so I just got a big pry bar and removed it that way. That's it.

The antennas and dash buttons are simple. When removing the dash buttons, just be ready with what you want to put there in its place (storage pocket, bottle opener, bass knob, lcd monitor, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts