How to install E-Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The flex fans can be used for push or pull for push the black is neg but for pull like we want the polarity is reversed. So to push ( fan mounted in front of the condenser ) the black is ground, for pull ( fan mounted behind the radiator as we need it ) the black is positive. the motor has the ability to spin in two directions and its the polarity that makes it change direction. you wont harm the fan trying it either direction but our set ups we need the puller and yes the black goes to positive.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, problem fixed.

B

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd add a few pics of the black bear harness install since I did this a few days ago and had a few questions!

The first 2 are pics of a single pin harness that I put in my '02 (there is a dual pin harness for newer trucks), the second one is a close up of the wires and the labels for where they get hooked up.

The third pic is of the ground wires of the harness, both are in the tag of alt bracket in the second pic, and where I mounted them on the bracket connected to the alternator

I didn't get a pic of the battery pos+ wire, but if you look at the 3rd pic you will see a red box connected to the bracket that the ground wires are installed on. Just open up the red box and you will see a power stud in there, just undo the nut and put that wire on there.

The fourth pic is of the AC Tap connection, there is a wiring harness that runs vertically in front of the bracket that you installed the ground wires on, just get into the harness to where you can see the individual wire colors and find the one that looks closest to the color of wire of the AC tap wire of the black bear harness, for me it was the 3rd one I tried because I tried the first ones I saw that I thought might be it, the first wire didn't turn the passenger side fan on at all when the AC was turned on, the second one turned the fan on when the truck was running, and the 3rd one turned the fan on when the AC was on (which it is suppose to do, and that wire indeed did look the most like the BB one).

The cool thing about this harness is that all three of the connections I took pics of all hook up around the same location as each other, makes it pretty neat and tidy! There wasn't enough length in the harness to mount the relays at or on the fan but I just found a good spot amongst the other wiring around that area and ziptied them to the wires so they would move around and possibly get tangled up in anything, probably gonna make a bracket to mount them in the future!!

Hope these extra pics help someone out, if you do the fans be sure to pick up the black bear harness, very nicely put together and really made the install pretty easy!!

Harness.JPG

Harness CU.JPG

Ground wires.jpg

AC tap.jpg

DSC06432.jpg

Britain Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris...post a picture of the actual fans installed and a pic of the alt pulley.

-Britain

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Britain, been pretty busy the last couple of days, just went out and took the pics! Let me know if you think of any others that aren't on this thread and I will post up what I can!
The upper bolt locations change from the old to the new shroud, so you have to get 2 8mm X 1.25 (I think) X 50mm is what the stealership told me, I bought stainless ones about 1 1/2" long from a hardware store as well as some oversized fender washers since my fan didn't come with the inserts for the bolts, the washers worked great!!
The fourth pic is where I mounted the relays for the fan (temporary for now).

Efans installed1.jpg

Efans installed2.jpg

Fan Bolts.jpg

Fan Relays.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, here is the overdrive pulley pics for the alternator that you can buy from BlackBear, this upgrade is a good one as well, my voltage doesn't dip below 14 anymore when I'm idling!!

Alt. Pullies.jpg

Alt Pully New.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, this is a great thread for this installation, just needed a few extra pics to make it super easy!! Let me know if you have any questions during your install, you have my number!!

Britain Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my Electric Fans and BB Harness installed this evening. Many thanks to Chris (RivieraRacing) for the phone assistance. Had a little issue finding the correct AC wire as the green that was a closest match to the wire on the harness was not the correct wire. I also found the blue wire that goes to the ECU way too short to do anything useful with the relays. Therefore, I extended the blue wire about 8" and made a bracket to hold the relays. Below are some pictures.

-Britain

IMG_7035.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924