How to clean my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Ok so my engine is super dirty and greased up, I was going to clean with some engine bright foaming spray and diluted simpled green with soft bristled brush, however after talking with several tahoe/suburban owners about water damaging knock sensors and getting into unwanted places on our engines im a little leary of spraying down my compartment. Im I just being paranoid?

Do it! I did it in October after being tired of how ****** it looked under the hood.. Hit it with a whole can on everything hoses and all let it sit and used a shower setting on a garden hose worked very well. More than several people have asked me how does my engine well look better than there much newer cars I'll have a pic up tomorrow maybe.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was drenched in Clay and Mud from a little off-roading at LaGrange a while back ago. I decided to clean my engine with some Engine De-greaser and Water and now I have a constant CEL for my knock sensors. It's probably my dumb luck, but it happened to me.:imo: :Handshake:

yea mike your one of the people I heard from that have had problems, did you use a pressure washer or spray alot of water on it?

Do it! I did it in October after being tired of how ****** it looked under the hood.. Hit it with a whole can on everything hoses and all let it sit and used a shower setting on a garden hose worked very well. More than several people have asked me how does my engine well look better than there much newer cars I'll have a pic up tomorrow maybe.

Did you brush it down at all before spraying or did you just let it soak?

One thing that also may make me worried is I know I have a small intake manifold leak that needs replacing, should I be worried about this?

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I would bump this instead of making a new thread.

Is it necessary to cover the alternator before hosing it down? I wouldn't think so since water can get splashed up into it if you hit a puddle just right, but wanted to check before doing this. Also, do I need to cover anything or just go to town with a water hose and my thumb?

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so u guys are saying on a 07 ls tahoe no beed to cover anything and start degreaseing and hose it down and thats it no worries?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10