How to clean my engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icehead

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe that i would like to clean the engine. I have done a search here, but cannot seem to find a sticky or any detailed info. Anyone who can help me please locate a step by step on what to do? Thanks.

3-lot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lather, rinse, repeat.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

no seriously, get a can of foamy engine cleaner (any brand will work from any parts store). soak engine down with it and let stand for a bout 15 minutes, then take a pressure washer and hose er off (carefull around distributor and alternator). repeat in places that are worse.
once your done, its up to you how far detail you want to go. get some brake clean or parts cleaner and a rag and have at it, getting into all the nooks and crannies you want and scrub away tilly uor happy.
also, then get armor all or equivelant and clean all the plastics and anything elase you might want (they do make plastic cleaners too)
its really all up to you how clean you want it and how much effort you want to put into it.
a little scotch bright or steel wool will brighten up and clean any aluminum or steel as well.

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually a really good thread!!! I'd like to here from some of the pro's like Whippled, Twintt and Haks on this. I've seen some REALLY clean engine bays on this forum.

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
Heres what i do for a clean engine.

Materials-

-Engine Brite Spray, any auto store has.
-The Works Cleaner-Can be found at grocery stores, kmart, big lots, etc etc
-Small wire brush or hard bristle tooth brush.
-Rags
-Pressure washer/strong hose
-Black Magic Tire shine
- Meguiars Hot rims Rim Spray.
-Sponge

1. Soak your engine in the Engine Brite Foam. Let sit for twenty minutes or so.
2.Spray the engine down with pressure washer. Be sure to get all the foam off.
3. Left over residue can be taken off the Works cleaner, I empty mine into a spray bottle. Much easier to use that way. Spray it onto tough areas and lit it sit for ten minutes.

4. Come back to them with your wire brush and gently brush away grime, scaling,etc. Do this to any metal parts you see built up with scum. This can take a long time depending on how bad your engine is, But take your time and it will come out beautiful.

5.Now spray your engine down once more to rid of the scum left over from brushing.

6.Take your tire shine and soak the plastic parts in it, Allow to sit for five minutes.

7. While your waiting, soak your metal parts you just brushed down with the Rim Cleaner/Polish.

8.Come back to them with just a rough sponge and use some elbow grease and buff the chemicals into the plastic and metal, Wipe away any excess with rags.

Admire your beautiful engine.

Mine comes out great every time. Just my way though.

Last edited:

ndavis0001

Davis Motorsports
Reaction score
nice. easiest way i do it is leave the engine running, spray with degreaser, let sit, spray off with a gentle tip on pressure washer or thumb your hose, then either leave it or shine it. i douse it with wd40

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
I use "CASTROL SUPER CLEAN CLEANER DEGREASER." It can be found at Autozone in a 32oz spray bottle. I simply spray it on, let sit for 20 min then pressure wash it off. Repeat for really oily areas :)

castrol-super-clean-cleaner-degreaser-101780_4742195_175.jpg

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
I used some spray my father was holding on to for an older truck he wanted to clean up b4 selling.....he never ended up using it..MY gain not sure the name unfortunately but its a blue, yellow, and orange can and is a foam spray...I applied it ALL OVER the inside of the engine well let it sit for about 8 minutes washed it off for 10 and ran it for 15 minutes and drove it for 10 hwy...four months later and it looks like it just left the factory...showed all my neighbors some things i wanted to fix under the hood one day and the first thing they asked was how old is this truck? lol

never mind found it..
http://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Warehouse-Feb-1-Engine-Cleaner/dp/B001BPVBHE

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use simple green on a semi warm engine, let it soak the hose it off. repeat then hose it with old scholl armor all. let it soak, wipe up excess, drive for a day or 2, then repeat with simple green max. and armor all..

Looks bran new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo