How many of you actually off-road with your 2015 and newer Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Most folks that do significant off roading would never purchase these SUVs.

That's not really what they're made for ... they're utility vehicles that schlep people and their stuff and have 4wd for poor road conditions due to weather. Without significant modifications they're pretty useless in intense off road environments.
My AWD Denali does great in heavy snow because of auto 4WD.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
I work the burb up here pretty hard. No trail riding but most of the roads are gravel and covered in snow/ice 7 months of the year. I do everything I can to keep it nice but the investment was to keep my family safe and my wife comfortable up here if I travel for work, not to have the nicest ride in town.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work the burb up here pretty hard. No trail riding but most of the roads are gravel and covered in snow/ice 7 months of the year. I do everything I can to keep it nice but the investment was to keep my family safe and my wife comfortable up here if I travel for work, not to have the nicest ride in town.

Good approach. Does your Burb have the tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
Good approach. Does your Burb have the tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just has a tow bar, not the package with the brake controller etc. Whatever package it does have includes lane assist, grade braking, and aux oil and trans coolers. My wife hates the compression braking for some reason, I love it. Her daily commute includes a pretty big hill, here it is in the background.
40142487202_7cdfe1d826_k.jpg

The only thing I wish it had is the two speed transfer case, we haven't needed it yet but I keep a tow rope and shovel in the back in case since I can't crawl. As for the original post, here's the dirtiest it's been so far... I definitely picked the right color, it barely shows! No tight trails, I don't want stripes down the side.
40142487442_42c89eecdf_k.jpg

Last edited:

TheDingy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did some around here in Vegas with my 2016 that I had a mild lift on. I have since gotten rid of it. I have a g-wagon that I regularly take on the dunes and jeep trails around here. I had a G500 before and the 2016 couldn't cut it nearly as well. I have a 2 door that I am building up to go more serious places, but I am going way down the rabbit hole with it. My mall rat is a CL or a C7.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I'm not talking talking about Mall Crawlers or dirt roads, but actual OHV trails. Trails that you would never be able to navigate with a stock vehicle. Not necessarily EXTREME off-roading. How do you have it set up? Please post pics if you have any. Thanks!
I don't have a 15 or newer mine is a 2011 It does a fair amount of off road travel. I try not to dent it but it certainly has a fair number of Nevada pin stripes. Post up some photos of yours...

OP
OP
Etraeger

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, what kind of off-roading do you do? Can you post some picks of your rig?
I'll try to post some pics when I figure out how to post them on here. I've tried in the past, but was unsuccessful. I don't really have any good ones of it actually off-roading because I'm inside driving it. I'm in Central California and have taken it to Bald Mountain, Voyager Campground at Courtwright Lake (which is the start of the Dusy-Erschom Trail), Hooper Diversion Dam and Bear Diversion Dam. These trails wouldn't mean anything to those who live outside of California. The way mine is set up, its surprisingly capable. It has a stock locking rear diff. Not nearly as capable as a built Jeep, but for what we wanted its great. Daily driver capable of handling intermediate OHV trails. We plan on keeping it for as long as possible to get our money's worth out of it. I wouldn't take it on a trail that would likely cause body damage. Didn't want to buy an extra vehicle just for off-roading due to not having space to park it, extra insurance, etc. And like I said, nothing too extreme, but definitely hard enough to keep 2WDs and stock 4x4's off of the trail.

OP
OP
Etraeger

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a 15 or newer mine is a 2011 It does a fair amount of off road travel. I try not to dent it but it certainly has a fair number of Nevada pin stripes. Post up some photos of yours...
I'm Ok with a little pinstriping, but I don't really want any dents! My wife would kill me. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts