"Hot" Side Unboxing - Twin Turbo Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an awesome build! what type of HP numbers are you expecting at the rear?
When talking with Armageddon, they told me I should expect 630hp to 640hp at the wheels with the stock exhaust on low boost (6lbs - 7lbs). There's a YouTube video with this same kit on a 2015 Esky and stock exhaust. On the dyno it made power right in that same ballpark.

I'm hoping for 700hp at the wheels but I'm also too big of a ***** to crank up the boost too much so I'll have a conversation or two with my tuner and hoping we can find a happy medium. Keep in mind I'm installing a Kook's Y-Pipe with Green Cats and a fully custom exhaust with key-fob remote cutouts in place of the current factory Y-Pipe/Cats and Magnaflow catback exhaust.

Hoping that helps my HP numbers some.....

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be well over the 700 mark on low boost. Cant wait for more updates. Curious, what do you do for a living?

OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be well over the 700 mark on low boost. Cant wait for more updates. Curious, what do you do for a living?
I hope you're right on the HP numbers.

Right now I'm head of IT Operations at a privately held financial services (mortgage lending) company. For my career I've got 20+ years working as a network engineer. Formerly I did Cisco route/switch type stuff in the DOD space. I'm an old guy!

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right on the HP numbers.

Right now I'm head of IT Operations at a privately held financial services (mortgage lending) company. For my career I've got 20+ years working as a network engineer. Formerly I did Cisco route/switch type stuff in the DOD space. I'm an old guy!
I gotcha, Thats awesome. I wasn't trying to dig too deep into your personal business, but a 2020, with twins... This is no childs truck thats for sure.

I envy it buddy. Hopefully one day I can afford something similar. I've been in the small engine industry for 15 years, and it doesn't quite yield great financial success.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RThomasII - I'm curious if as a part of your install are you doing an actual mechanical AFM/DOD delete or are you just disabling it in the tune?

OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're less than a week away from install!

Really looking forward to hearing your feedback on the day to day drivability and how much power you end up with. It's going to be a whole new truck.

Curious to see how the kit fits out of the box or if there are any items that have to be adjusted or changed in order to complete the install.
Sounds like you're dropping it off at a local performance shop for the installation; Assuming this isn't their first rodeo installing boost onto GM LT/LS platforms...
How familiar are they with the Armageddon Turbo kits? Have they installed any of them before?
Is Armageddon providing your installer/tuner with a "starter" tune file or is the shop going to install and tune it themselves?
Did Armageddon make any recommendations as to the max amount of boost you should run on a stock 6.2 L86 and stock 10 speed transmission?
You mention in the first post you've had conversation with your tuner; Have they given you any maximum recommendations for boost pressure?
Your motor is all stock right? As well as your 10 speed transmission?
Curious to see how well the 10 speed holds up to the extra power and maintains daily drivability. Has your tuner mentioned anything about the trans tune or recommended % of torque management to keep the trans alive?

Sorry for all the questions. Just not too many people throwing twin turbos on the K2XX SUV's!
Hey CMoore711,

Apologize but I completely missed this post. To answer your questions:

You are correct. A local performance shop is doing the work although I have been stopping by and providing an extra set of hands (I got some mechanic skills) when my schedule allows.

Nope... The shop has a ton of past performance installing boost but this is their 1st rodeo with the Armageddon kit. That said, the shop owner and I had several meetings discussing the install. They pointed me in the direction of Armageddon. I also spent at least 12 hours over several phone calls with staff at Armageddon sorting stuff out as well.

Armageddon did provide a "drive-able" base tune file but we will only use it to start the truck and get it loaded on the car carrier to transport to the dyno tuner.

Nobody (Armageddon, my installer, my tuner) made any recommendations for max boost because from the start I kept preaching "I'm not trying to blow my new truck up". Everyone involved in this project I've worked with in the past and they pretty much know where my comfort zone is.

The motor and trans are 100% stock. We are doing the LT4 fuel upgrade (injectors, fuel pump, etc). That said.... Armageddon sells an upgrade kit that includes a Texas Speed Cam, forged pistons and other goodies. I was set to move forward with doing the turbo install and the upgrade kit at the same time but Armageddon talked me out of it for a few different reasons.

I did ask a lot of questions regarding daily driving, parts longevity, etc. There were no concerns. The guy tuning it actually has the same Escalade as mine but he's running a Whipple on his. Everything kept coming back around to "How to you plan to use the truck?" Everyone who knows me knows this build is more about doing something different and less about having a track ready school bus to line up against every Hellcat on the road that I see. I literally drive like a little old lady. I doubt this thing will ever see the drag strip or do a burnout. I initially declined the cutouts because I don't ever see them getting used. The truck will probably spend most of its life sitting still at "Cars and Coffee" events with the hood up and people walking by shaking their heads while commenting on what a waste it is that I'm not beating the hell outta the thing.....

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey CMoore711,

Apologize but I completely missed this post. To answer your questions:

You are correct. A local performance shop is doing the work although I have been stopping by and providing an extra set of hands (I got some mechanic skills) when my schedule allows.

Nope... The shop has a ton of past performance installing boost but this is their 1st rodeo with the Armageddon kit. That said, the shop owner and I had several meetings discussing the install. They pointed me in the direction of Armageddon. I also spent at least 12 hours over several phone calls with staff at Armageddon sorting stuff out as well.

Armageddon did provide a "drive-able" base tune file but we will only use it to start the truck and get it loaded on the car carrier to transport to the dyno tuner.

Nobody (Armageddon, my installer, my tuner) made any recommendations for max boost because from the start I kept preaching "I'm not trying to blow my new truck up". Everyone involved in this project I've worked with in the past and they pretty much know where my comfort zone is.

The motor and trans are 100% stock. We are doing the LT4 fuel upgrade (injectors, fuel pump, etc). That said.... Armageddon sells an upgrade kit that includes a Texas Speed Cam, forged pistons and other goodies. I was set to move forward with doing the turbo install and the upgrade kit at the same time but Armageddon talked me out of it for a few different reasons.

I did ask a lot of questions regarding daily driving, parts longevity, etc. There were no concerns. The guy tuning it actually has the same Escalade as mine but he's running a Whipple on his. Everything kept coming back around to "How to you plan to use the truck?" Everyone who knows me knows this build is more about doing something different and less about having a track ready school bus to line up against every Hellcat on the road that I see. I literally drive like a little old lady. I doubt this thing will ever see the drag strip or do a burnout. I initially declined the cutouts because I don't ever see them getting used. The truck will probably spend most of its life sitting still at "Cars and Coffee" events with the hood up and people walking by shaking their heads while commenting on what a waste it is that I'm not beating the hell outta the thing.....

No worries man. Thanks for the additional info.

Even on a mild tune and low boost this thing is going to be a whole new animal once dialed in!

OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates ?
The install is coming along.... The Twin turbo install is pretty much done at this point. We are at the stage of just making final adjustments, cleaning up wiring, and fit and finish quality control, gauge installs, etc. The custom exhaust install has started as well. Cutouts also need to be installed. Here's a few (really bad) pics of the exhaust and a video I put on YouTube of 1st start. The truck sounds MEAN. My cell phone video does not do it justice.

20211119_101850.jpg

20211119_101838.jpg

20211119_101914.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14