Hood/Paint Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINAL UPDATE; 3/5/20
I took the truck down to the dealer last week, as I mentioned previously, their attitude, vs. the local dealer's was a complete 180 degree difference. I will NEVER return to Boulevard GMC again. Having said that, Hardin GMC (my original sales dealer) had the truck for 7 days. I picked it up yesterday. I went over the re-paint with a fine tooth comb, and it's perfect. It's a perfect color match, just the slightest orange peel (matching the factory orange peel exactly), not a single drop of overspray, anywhere. If you didn't know the truck was just repainted, and the smell of fresh paint didn't tip you off, you'd never know this was a repair. While it was at Hardin GMC, I asked if they would powder coat the wheels, de-badge the truck and do the 15000 mile service, they did all of that. The photo below doesn't do it justice, I took it in the afternoon sun, but you can see the difference in the hood and roof line above the windshield.

Total cost for everything, including the oil change, 1900.00. Which was 400 less than I was quoted (900 for paint, 1200 for wheels, 100.00 for de-badge and 100 for service fees). It looks great and I would suggest finding the right dealer if one tells you no. I understand that may not always be an option, but I was fortunate in the way Hardin GMC took care of this. Oh, on top of that, they warranty'd the paint for 2 year, 24000 miles. So, my paint is now back under warranty, and will expire a year before my "extended warranty".
I am very happy with this, and can genuinely recommend Hardin GMC in Anaheim. If you're local to So Cal, having the same issue, give them a call and ask for Walt. Yukon2020.jpg

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up.

To all others, I have started a Facebook group so we can start to join some forces, gather facts/photos/data and then hopefully start the wheels turning for some class action...

You can go to the link below or search "Chevy Tahoe ('15-'20) Paint Issues"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283992135925288/
Will add myself to group, hope to help.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! That's a big deal labor wise to prep and paint the roof of a huge SUV. Considering you had it done in Cali where clean air laws almost double the cost other states charge, Hardin did you a solid.

After you get it washed use this stuff to keep the road grime from accumulating on the roof and hood. it's got great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HMO4FI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

d5-05b1b56895c2_1.4bfc8b05edcc806b23f1a9cb1f3fbd13.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try. A friend recommended "ceramic" coating, which is something else I may look into. I hope the other areas that weren't repaired don't start failing-

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping the paint sealed and protected in one way or another is the best thing you can do. You can use a good wax and keep up with it, a paint sealant, spray ceramic coating, a real ceramic coating, or a combination.

SUSAN SALLEE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 (brownstone metallic) is starting to show pretty noticable streaks/blemishes in a cross pattern. We have kept the vehicle clean and washed weekly with waxing twice a year. Has anyone else had this only on their hood?

Unfortunately, we are stationed in Hawaii. Detail places can't correct the issue, recommended new paint. Auto bodies state they can't repaint the hood and that the issue is how the hood is machined from the factory and that a new hood is required. Seems a little far-fetched and slightly sketch, but that's expected out here with labor rates through the roof.

Worst case, I may plstidip the hood black to match accents until we get back stateside. Open to other options as well. Thanks!

Steve
I am having the same issue with my 2016. Hood and roof look like the clear coat was removed and now it has wierd looking cloudy finish. I purchased the extra coverage from Finishing Touch that the dealer pushed at purchase. Contacted Finishing Touch and they were really helpful until their inspection and then said it is a factory failure. Now I am being shuffled around on my claim. Told me they have forwarded to upper management for approval. Took it to two body shops and repair costs are almost 3k and 10 days to complete the work. When I spoke with the dealership I purchased it from I was told they have never seen or heard about this problem. That's a lie, Chevrolet has had issues for years. It's pretty bad when my 2004 Corvette is not fading and it has set out in the sun and other elements and still shines like it did the day I bought it. Pretty bad when you pay 65k for a new vehicle and 3.5 years later the paint is fading away.

SUSAN SALLEE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my 2016. Hood and roof look like the clear coat was removed and now it has wierd looking cloudy finish. I purchased the extra coverage from Finishing Touch that the dealer pushed at purchase. Contacted Finishing Touch and they were really helpful until their inspection and then said it is a factory failure. Now I am being shuffled around on my claim. Told me they have forwarded to upper management for approval. Took it to two body shops and repair costs are almost 3k and 10 days to complete the work. When I spoke with the dealership I purchased it from I was told they have never seen or heard about this problem. That's a lie, Chevrolet has had issues for years. It's pretty bad when my 2004 Corvette is not fading and it has set out in the sun and other elements and still shines like it did the day I bought it. Pretty bad when you pay 65k for a new vehicle and 3.5 years later the paint is fading away.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the dealer tells you; "They've never heard of this issue", that's very unusual. It may be the particular person you were dealing with hadn't heard of this, but as you said, GM has had paint issues for years. That's not to say that GM's paint is bad, it just seems there are a higher percentage of problems with the paints when compared to other vehicles. It's strange really, not all have it, but those that do it's nearly identical in the failure points; hood, roof or tops of doors. I got the run-around from one dealer, which I expected. When I wrote a letter to GM, they also gave me the brush off, explaining this wasn't something they warranty. My extended warranty covers mechanical/electrical, bumper to bumper, but not paint. When I had just about reached my limit and considered hitting my attorney up for speaking a bit louder with a threat of legal action, my sales dealer really stepped up. I posted all about this previously in this thread. As you mentioned you've already went back to your sales dealer and got the "never seen that before" routine. I was told by a friend who worked for GM for many years to request a Factory Rep to be present when I brought the truck in for review. The Service Manager (who ultimately stepped up and took care of this for me) told me they don't do Factory Reps anymore, I believe him, but it may not be true for your area. Perhaps a call back to the dealer, requesting to speak to/meet with the service manager and a printed page, outlining the posts about GM's pain issues, especially with the 2015/2016's (I don't know if this issue is still occurring, but I'm sure you can find threads posted on here about that somewhere). Explain to them your value as a customer and loyalty, they CAN go to bat for you and recommend taking care of this to higher ups at GM. The dealership can also try to make you happy and explore possible options. I did have to spend some $ to get it fixed, but it was discounted substantially and I had them do a few extra things. The service manager I dealt with really went to bat for me and made every attempt to keep me as a customer. They had the truck for 7 days and hit it out of the park. I was very happy with what they did, and just recently returned to them for my brake light being out. I quick phone call, explaining, an appointment and a 2 hour wait and they replaced both tail light clusters and it was no cost to me. As it should be. Good luck, I hope you're able to find a satisfactory method of getting it fixed. Sadly, it takes time and diligence, not all of us have the luxury of spending time writing letters and making phone calls.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't just GM, look at any Asian car that's 3-5 years old and the paint is garbage. I think Nissan paint is worse than GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e