Hood/Paint Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spate47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 (brownstone metallic) is starting to show pretty noticable streaks/blemishes in a cross pattern. We have kept the vehicle clean and washed weekly with waxing twice a year. Has anyone else had this only on their hood?

Unfortunately, we are stationed in Hawaii. Detail places can't correct the issue, recommended new paint. Auto bodies state they can't repaint the hood and that the issue is how the hood is machined from the factory and that a new hood is required. Seems a little far-fetched and slightly sketch, but that's expected out here with labor rates through the roof.

Worst case, I may plstidip the hood black to match accents until we get back stateside. Open to other options as well. Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my '15 is starting to show signs of GM quality paint of yesteryear, in the middle of the hood. :(
i've been thinking about talking to a buddy & doing something custom w/ the hood... that would require repainting it. so this may push me over the decision hedge ;)

if you don't plastidip it, you could also look into vinyl wrapping it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 (brownstone metallic) is starting to show pretty noticable streaks/blemishes in a cross pattern. We have kept the vehicle clean and washed weekly with waxing twice a year. Has anyone else had this only on their hood?

Unfortunately, we are stationed in Hawaii. Detail places can't correct the issue, recommended new paint. Auto bodies state they can't repaint the hood and that the issue is how the hood is machined from the factory and that a new hood is required. Seems a little far-fetched and slightly sketch, but that's expected out here with labor rates through the roof.

Worst case, I may plstidip the hood black to match accents until we get back stateside. Open to other options as well. Thanks!

Steve
just scrap the paint off and put bed liner that is what i'm going to do once the paint wears off my 08

the best thing you can do for now is keep it away from the salt water...

OP
OP
spate47

spate47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just scrap the paint off and put bed liner that is what i'm going to do once the paint wears off my 08

the best thing you can do for now is keep it away from the salt water...

I thought about doing bed liner on the hood, especially since we have a high chance of heading back to Florida after Hawaii. Plus the nerf steps will be lined as well so won't look too out of place I suppose. Another shop just got back to me quoting about 1K to repaint the hood and that it can be done. Not sure how much of a bump that is versus getting it done stateside.

sncourtesy

Reaction score
My 15 had the exact same issue...It was on the hood and the roof...Just had hood and roof repainted last week....My hood and roof showed the same type of pattern....This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone else having the same issue.. But it definitely seems like some sort of defect ...

OP
OP
spate47

spate47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 15 had the exact same issue...It was on the hood and the roof...Just had hood and roof repainted last week....My hood and roof showed the same type of pattern....This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone else having the same issue.. But it definitely seems like some sort of defect ...

It happened rather quickly too on ours. I really want to run by the dealership but I know they'll give zero effs.

How much did it run you to have both repainted, if you don't mind me asking. Still have two more years here in Hawaii so not sure if it would be worth waiting until we get back stateside.

chevypat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my hood and roof. Being the car is 2016 and I wash and wax it regularly. Im probably end trading this truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the sounds of this it wouldn't have prevented your issue but wax doesn't last 6 months, maybe 2-3 months tops. Maybe not even that long if it isn't garaged.

How many miles do you have on it? Being a 16 it can't be too terribly far out of warranty. Take it to your dealer and see you can get GM to help out. If you have a good relationship with the dealer there is a very good chance you will at least get GM to participate, even better chance if you're the original owner. You can also try calling customer care.

chevypat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From the sounds of this it wouldn't have prevented your issue but wax doesn't last 6 months, maybe 2-3 months tops. Maybe not even that long if it isn't garaged.

How many miles do you have on it? Being a 16 it can't be too terribly far out of warranty. Take it to your dealer and see you can get GM to help out. If you have a good relationship with the dealer there is a very good chance you will at least get GM to participate, even better chance if you're the original owner. You can also try calling customer care.

Thanks. I’ve got 50k on the truck. Ill try to contact my dealer for warranty. I have to check my papers if its still covered. It just sucks on why they used a bad type of paint. My 2011 camry paint is still good and it is not even garaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792