2022 Yukon Paint Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the process of taking delivery of a 2022 Yukon Denali Frost White Tricoat and we noticed dozens of little defects in the hood. They look like pieces of dirt trapped in the clear coat or paint, or maybe even tiny solvent pops. The body shop is trying to tell me that he doesn’t think it’s worth repainting the entire hood and comprising the factory paint to address. Anyone else have similar issues? The car is also at the body shop due a chip down to the metal in the front passenger door that must have happened during transit. Really sucks that a brand new car with only 2 miles on it has to have this much work already.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I’d say it’s a defect and should never have made it through their inspection process.

My ‘21 Tahoe hood has one of those spots on it and I noticed a few on the door panels which isn’t a big deal to me, but if the amount of them are showing which you’re describing, I’d have the hood repainted under warranty.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the '21 pick up white frost, and was very impressed with the perfect paint. Actually shocked. But not a mark, swirl, or piece of dirt, and I am OCD. My last Denali Yukon a 2017 had several issues. Dirt, rail dust embedded in clear coat, and 2 dings, all in in the paint. Surprised because the pickup is made in Mexico, and the Yukon in Texas. Figured the quality control would be reversed????

OP
OP
E

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the '21 pick up white frost, and was very impressed with the perfect paint. Actually shocked. But not a mark, swirl, or piece of dirt, and I am OCD. My last Denali Yukon a 2017 had several issues. Dirt, rail dust embedded in clear coat, and 2 dings, all in in the paint. Surprised because the pickup is made in Mexico, and the Yukon in Texas. Figured the quality control would be reversed????
COVID quality I guess?

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask the body shop to try a clay bar and polish again, this may take out some of the imperfections, at least it is worth a try

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint is garbage on my 19 silver Denali. It has trash in the hood and various places over the rest of the truck. A chip from a factory run where the bumper meets the fender. Splotches all over and like all the others I've seen, the front driver fender doesn't line up perfectly with the door. Yes, I bought the truck new and looked at the other 15 they had on the lot. Everything was the same less then chip in the bumper. That came in after 15k miles. Hasn't gotten any worse so I don't worry about it. Not anything a normal person would notice but it bothered me at first. Now, idgaf. After a little bit you get over it and realize they're all that way. If it's just a little spec of trash here and there, I personally would rather keep the factory paint vs some moron painting on it. That's just me though

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only a few like this on the right fender near the emblem. I didn't even notice them until I had PPF applied and then they are easy to spot. Seems more bad pint issues on new vehicles now-days.

therealbofa

Reaction score
I did a full wash, clay bar, and wax today and have to agree with OP. There were at least half a dozen tiny “pebbles’ under the paint in various spots. I’ll have to wet sand and touch them up in the spring. I can’t recall ever seeing that before in any of my vehicles and I’ve owned quite a few.

I also found a very shallow dent that looks like it probably came from the factory. There were no marks in the paint in that area and you can only see it from an extreme angle.

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for posting in two places, but I found this thread after posting mine.

I found excess panel sealant painted that was painted over in my 2022. Unfortunately I took delivery in the evening and missed it until the next morning. Pretty aggravating on such an expensive car!

Attachments

• 557B7A77-C582-4AEE-96A0-4CAB637EE632.jpeg
    557B7A77-C582-4AEE-96A0-4CAB637EE632.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 19