High Voltage on Dash Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nofaz

Reaction score
Hope this is a good thread to post in for my problem. Have had both headlights fail in the past 3 weeks. I've been watching the voltage indicator on the dash and I'm seeing 16 volts at times. Tonight I drove home and it was indicating at least 16 volts. Left it run in the drive way and got the DVM on the alternator. I'm seeing 17 volts and touching 18 at times. This is way too much but I'm not sure if the regulator is in the alternator or part of a computer in the vehicle. I have a new alternator in the box that I bought from amazon. Should I try it or does the problem lie elsewhere?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Hope this is a good thread to post in for my problem. Have had both headlights fail in the past 3 weeks. I've been watching the voltage indicator on the dash and I'm seeing 16 volts at times. Tonight I drove home and it was indicating at least 16 volts. Left it run in the drive way and got the DVM on the alternator. I'm seeing 17 volts and touching 18 at times. This is way too much but I'm not sure if the regulator is in the alternator or part of a computer in the vehicle. I have a new alternator in the box that I bought from amazon. Should I try it or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Probably the alternator but can't guarantee it.

How old is your battery? What has the temperature been like in your neck of the woods?

nofaz

Reaction score
It was operator error. . . .I checked the battery voltage and couldn't beleive the reading. Went to my workbench and grabbed a trusted VOM. Sure
enough that VOM made by the dressmakers was off by 2 and a half volts! Pic was taken with the key off. Arrrgh!Yukon volts.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was operator error. . . .I checked the battery voltage and couldn't beleive the reading. Went to my workbench and grabbed a trusted VOM. Sure
enough that VOM made by the dressmakers was off by 2 and a half volts! Pic was taken with the key off. Arrrgh!View attachment 234769
So the dash says it’s way high and the Craftsman says it’s way high but you choose to believe the Beckman? Who is to say what the actual charging voltage is? All I see at this point is confusion.

nofaz

Reaction score
Dash voltage showed what I thought was slightly higher than normal. You'll notice there are not a lot of digits on that gauge. Difficult to be accurate without even tic marks to go by. I'm thinking there was no problem and that the headlights failed just a few days apart by coincidence. Sucks to be wrong, but I know it when I see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157