High Voltage on Dash Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine sits in garage was cold but nit as cold as its been, I’ve seen my gauge at 13,14,15 .....normal. today for about 30 min it was high but was low again by the time I parked it, an hour and a half later. I have dual batteries in parallel and this is completely normal function of this charging system. On the neg cable off the battery there is a sensor to monitor voltage from battery, when its voltage is lower alternator charges when normal voltage alternator stops alternating (lol-joke) if you want, remove that sensor and youll get a more (i dont want to say accurate but...) normal-ish reading. It does no harm disconnecting this sensor.View attachment 190293

Is this the part? Or do I have to replace the entire negative battery cable?

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Also looking at entire negative battery cable. Looks like sensor comes with. Can get an OEM cable from around $35-50. Thinking it may be good to just replace entire cable as I have been reading of other problems from it. Is it a big job to do? I haven't dug into that yet as it's 3 degrees here

BTW really appreciate all the feedback. I use these sites quite often for all of my cars. Seems like I have only been asking, hopefully in the future I can contribute.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its all good, buddy.

Neg battery cable is easy but before buying parts, clean up both sides really well im talking wire brush them and your battery terminal.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, your battery could be on its way out.... meaning even tho it starts fine and everything seems normal, its cold and batteries hate cold so alternator maybe compensating by pushing more into battery to charge it. Did you load test the battery?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sits in garage was cold but nit as cold as its been, I’ve seen my gauge at 13,14,15 .....normal. today for about 30 min it was high but was low again by the time I parked it, an hour and a half later. I have dual batteries in parallel and this is completely normal function of this charging system. On the neg cable off the battery there is a sensor to monitor voltage from battery, when its voltage is lower alternator charges when normal voltage alternator stops alternating (lol-joke) if you want, remove that sensor and youll get a more (i dont want to say accurate but...) normal-ish reading. It does no harm disconnecting this sensor.View attachment 190293
I have noticed mine in this range lately when we got below freezing here. I figured it was just pushing voltage to keep the battery alive. I have not noticed any ill effects and my truck fired right up this morning with the temps in the low 20's.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, your battery could be on its way out.... meaning even tho it starts fine and everything seems normal, its cold and batteries hate cold so alternator maybe compensating by pushing more into battery to charge it. Did you load test the battery?

Battery brand new in October and has been tested again last week.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its all good, buddy.

Neg battery cable is easy but before buying parts, clean up both sides really well im talking wire brush them and your battery terminal.

Thanks, will give that a try and look for corrosion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh