High Voltage on Dash Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am showing voltage in about the 15-16 range on my dash. Gauge has always shown just a tick above 14 and drops below after running for a while. However during last trip Guage always above 14 and seems to ticking higher. The weather has been cold here, this week generally in the 10 degrees or below range. Battery was new this Fall.

Everything running fine, not blowing any lights like I have read from others. Is this a concern?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am showing voltage in about the 15-16 range on my dash. Gauge has always shown just a tick above 14 and drops below after running for a while. However during last trip Guage always above 14 and seems to ticking higher. The weather has been cold here, this week generally in the 10 degrees or below range. Battery was new this Fall.

Everything running fine, not blowing any lights like I have read from others. Is this a concern?

I would check it with a DVOM to be safe... it could be the voltage regulator is going out in the alternator.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

I had the same problem on a Monte Carlo. Turned out to be the regulator in the alternator. Swapped it out and it solved my problem.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem on a Monte Carlo. Turned out to be the regulator in the alternator. Swapped it out and it solved my problem.
Thanks will do both. Dumb Question, can I swap out the voltage regulator, or just better replacing the alternator?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks will do both. Dumb Question, can I swap out the voltage regulator, or just better replacing the alternator?
I personally have never done that. I've always bought the complete rebuilt unit, but I'm sure you can do it yourself. I'm not sure if you'll need special tools to do it tho. I think New regulators are under $20.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK so reading with DVOM looks to be OK. 14.85 to 14.89. I guess my only concern now is I never see it go down below 14 like I have in the past. Wondering if that is the temps. First time I have noticed it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
OK so reading with DVOM looks to be OK. 14.85 to 14.89. I guess my only concern now is I never see it go down below 14 like I have in the past. Wondering if that is the temps. First time I have noticed it.

Was your gauge reading 15-16V at the time you checked it?

Also the colder temperatures will definitely affect the output voltage when the alternator is cold. When the voltage regulator inside is cold (when first started) it will put out more voltage but after the alternator gets up to normal operating temperature it should settle down to normal. Obviously with the colder weather it will take longer to get up to normal operating temperature.

One other note... if the regulator was going bad you should also see fluctuations in voltage when you rev the engine.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was your gauge reading 15-16V at the time you checked it?

Also the colder temperatures will definitely affect the output voltage when the alternator is cold. When the voltage regulator inside is cold (when first started) it will put out more voltage but after the alternator gets up to normal operating temperature it should settle down to normal. Obviously with the colder weather it will take longer to get up to normal operating temperature.

One other note... if the regulator was going bad you should also see fluctuations in voltage when you rev the engine.

Thanks. I did check again with a DVOM. Seems to be charging at the higher end, but still safe, 14.85 to 14.89. My mechanic said that is fine. The only thing I am not seeing is in the past after I had been driving for a while, it would drop below 14 as I know there is the variable charging on this vehicle. I will chalk it up to the cold for now, but keep an eye on it. May replace Alternator as preventative anyway.

OP
OP
Q

Quag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I did check again with a DVOM. Seems to be charging at the higher end, but still safe, 14.85 to 14.89. My mechanic said that is fine. The only thing I am not seeing is in the past after I had been driving for a while, it would drop below 14 as I know there is the variable charging on this vehicle. I will chalk it up to the cold for now, but keep an eye on it. May replace Alternator as preventative anyway.

OK so one more update. Took a reading with DVOM after driving form about a half hour. Showing about 15.5. This seem high. The temps are around 10 F and below right now and I am reading that colder temps will cause higher voltage output, but I would expect it to go down after warmed up. Prefer not to spend money on an alternator if this is normal, but don't want to fry a new battery either. Thoughts.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OK so one more update. Took a reading with DVOM after driving form about a half hour. Showing about 15.5. This seem high. The temps are around 10 F and below right now and I am reading that colder temps will cause higher voltage output, but I would expect it to go down after warmed up. Prefer not to spend money on an alternator if this is normal, but don't want to fry a new battery either. Thoughts.
If it was me I'd change it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons