High side AC port issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to to troubleshoot why my AC doesn't seem to function right and when I pulled off the dust cap for the high side port the refrigerant leaked out. So I picked up a repair kit this afternoon that has a new port and valve cores but I can't get the old port off the line. I have a vacuum pump hooked up to see if I could pull a vacuum but I can only get down to about 20" and when I shut the pump off I lose vacuum pressure. My though was to at least start with changing the high side port. Anyone have any tips where else to look? It's been a while since I've worked with AC.

Attachments

• 20230701_160359.jpg
    20230701_160359.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 6

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to to troubleshoot why my AC doesn't seem to function right and when I pulled off the dust cap for the high side port the refrigerant leaked out. So I picked up a repair kit this afternoon that has a new port and valve cores but I can't get the old port off the line. I have a vacuum pump hooked up to see if I could pull a vacuum but I can only get down to about 20" and when I shut the pump off I lose vacuum pressure. My though was to at least start with changing the high side port. Anyone have any tips where else to look? It's been a while since I've worked with AC.
You can replace the whole port with a special socket:

1688250746141.png

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Your elevation effects the vacuum reading. At sea level you can get close to 30 inches of vacuum. In Death Valley, below sea level, you can get more. The amount of vacuum inches is lower at higher altitudes. You have to be pretty high altitude for 20 inches of vacuum or have a poor vacuum pump or a constant leak effecting the reading. I have only replaced a shrader valve, so I have never used a repair kit.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver don't have the socket right now but can get one. The concern that I have though is that with using what I was to try taking the port off seemed like was going to twist the line.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OR VietVet I'm guessing a constant leak because if I don't even have the high side hose hooked up I'm losing vacuum pressure through the port. I can feel it with my finger over the port.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OR VietVet I do have the tool to remove the Schrader valve, just not the socket for the port. But the valve is covered by this little black cap so I can't actually get at it

Attachments

• 20230701_181829.jpg
    20230701_181829.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 6

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, IMO, I never want to use a repair kit. It is another source for a leak. I would get another line assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts