High side AC port issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That fittings screws into the line you have to change the fitting. And that's the OE ball style and not a black cap that you was thinking is removable

You can support her on line and use a adjustable wrench to change the fitting

Attachments

• 02585277-1362802.jpg
    02585277-1362802.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was doing a little research on the issue at hand. Turns out that the OE ball valve is a one time thing in that it fails after having gauges hooked up. Makes sense because I had gauged on a couple days ago to get an idea what system pressures were doing because the compressor was cycling so the system at least had refrigerant in it. Now today I just went to do deeper troubleshooting and had the leak issue. And turns out what I brought home is another port with a ball valve. Dorman does make a port with a replaceable Schrader valve though so this one I want to return.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like @OR VietVet - I've only replaced shrader valves and/or lines. Never the actual port. IMO it's just easier to replace the line. But since the system is already opened up you really should replace the accumulator/dryer at the same time.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RAMurphy Is it best to go with OEM parts for these? I can find what looks to be the line I need on Rock Auto but the part number doesn't match what I'm finding in a GM parts breakdown.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@RAMurphy Is it best to go with OEM parts for these? I can find what looks to be the line I need on Rock Auto but the part number doesn't match what I'm finding in a GM parts breakdown.
@Jobi-Wan Kenobi The short answer is I try to use OEM when I can. However, I have had great luck with both Denso and Four Seasons products. My current A/C compressor on my 2002 Tahoe is a Denso and has been on my baby longer than the original compressor. When I fixed my daughter's AC system (bad condenser) I used four seasons parts. Hope this helps.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the accumulator and the line swapped out, and changed that stupid ball valve out for a port with a Schrader valve. The system is maintaining vacuum so thats good. I went to charge it tonight and found out I dont have enough refrigerant here and then later realized that I need to add oil to the system.

*face palm*

Good thing I didn't have enough refrigerant here. Now I just need to figure out how to add oil. I found a video earlier showing it can be sucked in via vacuum through the high side port.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts