Help with 2009 PPV Harsh Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRKN57

Reaction score
I’m running at 33 psi. It’s not the tires. I have the most expensive and nice tires (did make a difference switching from generic tires). This is my 3rd set of tires in 1 1/2 years, chasing down ways to soften the ride based on people’s feedback.

Hope my thread gets solved one day and helps others save money and address the same issue
Thank you for sharing. I hope it works out eventually and yes, others can benefit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share an update On my horrible ride quality and also get the forum’s feedback on the possible solution. Sorry for the long post.

My current and always challenge with my PPV is how everything will rattle when hitting the smallest of bumps, almost losing control and feels like the truck is going to rattle apart. Now if you read my posts, you can see I have done a lot of improvements.

So...I took my PPV to a different Indy who specializes in alignments. They are actually the best alignment shop probably in the west ( A Arrow Alignment, Las Vegas NV).

I had taken many trucks/SUVs to these guys for alignments including my PPV (each time I would replace something). I asked if they knew why my suspension is so bad. After a quick drive around the block, I always get the same “man this rides so much better than all the other PPVs we work on!” And I have heard this from multiple shops. Almost like hearing I shouldn’t have my man card and this is a truck, they ride rough (was told that before at a local dealership).

What made this trip different, I listed everything that has been changed to increase ride comfort, I basically have a civilian Tahoe at this point and can’t do anything more (ok, maybe add air bags?). After about 3 minutes in, I was relived when I heard a loud “FOUND THE ISSUE!” from the amazing tech. I was asked to crawl under the lift and he pointed to my rack & pinion. Now I have had this looked at my times by other shops, but this time was different. To the techs testing and with my own eyes, I learned that my steering rack was so trashed with shot inner tie-rods, broken (almost missing) bushings and some minor leaking of fluid!

So my question to this amazing group of Tahoe owners, what would you do?

1. Take the old steering rack out to be rebuilt locally? $220 rebuild cost + my time of removal and install (plus having my PPV on stands while I wait)

2. Buy an off-brand rebuilt from a Rockauto (A-1 Cardone, Maval)? $250 - $300 after core charge

3. Bite the bullet and get a new or rebuilt AC Delco steering rack? $450 -$800 after core

4. Buy a used one from the wrecking yard thats newer and better shape? $100

4. Just replace the inner tie-rods and bushings myself (it does leak a little fluid)? $100 parts and a lot of beer

Any help would be amazing!

Last edited:

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my question to this amazing group of Tahoe owners, what would you do?

1. Take the old steering rack out to be rebuilt locally? $220 rebuild cost + my time of removal and install (plus having my PPV on stands while I wait)

2. Buy an off-brand rebuilt from a Rockauto (A-1 Cardone, Maval)? $250 - $300 after core charge

3. Bite the bullet and get a new or rebuilt AC Delco steering rack? $450 -$800 after core

4. Buy a used one from the wrecking yard thats newer and better shape? $100

4. Just replace the inner tie-rods and bushings myself (it does leak a little fluid)? $100 parts and a lot of beer

Any help would be amazing!
I'd personally go with a rebuilt unit from one of the big auto parts retailers, like Advance Auto or O'Reilly. You'll get a better price online with Rock Auto, but working with it down the road for warranty will be a PITA. So worth the extra 10-15% by getting it locally than to deal with the headache down the road, but that is just me.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd personally go with a rebuilt unit from one of the big auto parts retailers, like Advance Auto or O'Reilly. You'll get a better price online with Rock Auto, but working with it down the road for warranty will be a PITA. So worth the extra 10-15% by getting it locally than to deal with the headache down the road, but that is just me.

Thank you for the response. Didn’t know if the brands sold at the national parts stores were any good value and had leaking seals and what not?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. Didn’t know if the brands sold at the national parts stores were any good value and had leaking seals and what not?

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, and it certainly sounds like you need a new steering rack, but I don't quite understand how a bad steering rack has anything to do with a harsh ride.

But hopefully this eliminates your issue.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have your original rebuilt if you have the resources to do it. It cuts down on the list of unknowns, in terms of having it redone. Would it be the shop that diagnosed it doing the rebuild? If so, that is an additional vote to have it rebuilt locally. Good luck!

I have a Silverado on which I am JUST starting this journey.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all rebuild cores, but just make sure you have a good warranty and it should be worry-free. If you rebuild your original rack, its up to whoever does it to warranty it. Look out for you and the simplest way for you to handle an issue, if one comes up.
I'm not trying to be a naysayer, and it certainly sounds like you need a new steering rack, but I don't quite understand how a bad steering rack has anything to do with a harsh ride.

But hopefully this eliminates your issue.
From what I read it was the ride all around, I think he's solved the harsh ride but it sounds like it still wanders. I guess it'd be the worst case here, but I could see a sloppy rack causing some bump steer.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the help and feedback. I’m praying it’s the steering rack from what I noticed when inspecting, along with the symptoms.

It’s been 115 degrees here in Vegas and not motivated at all to go outside and wrench. once it gets to closer to 100 degrees I will take care of the rack. Also getting my PPV repainted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts