Help with 2009 PPV Harsh Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just a quick update on my hash ride... i did all the above and still rides like crap.

Both front and rear shocks were replaced as listed in my previous post. I also changed my tires to OEM 20” wheel and tires. Same boat :(

The ride is firm, but what is scary, it’s so firm that when driving the speed limit on the freeway and hitting the smallest of bumps, throws my Tahoe all over (and also rattles). Any ideas or is this just what it is?

I did have the tires balanced and truck aligned after shock install.
What size tires are on those 20" OEM wheels?

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to give everyone an update on my PPV harsh ride with some additional work done.

New Struts and Shocks: Went with the Belltech ProStreet (Part #9505 height adjustable) for the front and rear. Much better ride than the PPV Monroes.

Front and rear sway bar bushings and end-links

Rear coil spring insulation/pad (top and bottom)

Tie rod ends

Though my ride is a little nicer, I still get that horrible banging/shake in my dash, steering wheel, and rear when I hit small bumps. Can’t figure out why it’s so bad.

I had an idea that my motor and transmission mounts had to be bad, causing everything to lift when hitting a bump, then hit the frame. The driver engine mount was destroyed. Unfortunately that didn’t help (I did need to change them anyway).

Any ideas on what could be causing the horrible banging/shaking in my suspension? Even on rough roads, feels like my Tahoe is shaking apart.

27777192-6573-4AB1-9458-5FF204CA5F16.jpeg

Last edited:

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Tires, being pneumatic are the first line of suspension. Going to larger rims and reducing sidewall height results in a more rigid, less flexible sidewall. Yes, low profile tires and large rims may look cool and be unpractical but they offer very little in the way of ride comfort for a 6000lb vehicle. As stated above, PPV/SSV shocks are different from non PPV/SSV shocks. They are designed for handling and not comfort. They have different dampening rates than the civilian counterparts.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to my original post:

I finally got around to the final idea to soften my PPV ride... changing out the rear springs.

i ordered a set of Eibach 2” lowering springs as I learned the PPV rear springs are the main cause of the firm ride (along with the Monroe shocks/struts).

check out the difference between the lowering springs and the PPV springs:

6E9CA043-115D-4319-BFBD-CF869E29AB28.jpeg

Crazy that the PPV springs are shorter, yet ride about a 1/2” higher when installed.

overall made a big difference in the ride comfort without losing the PPV lowered look and handling. My front and rear stance is close to level as possible.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update to my original post:

I finally got around to the final idea to soften my PPV ride... changing out the rear springs.

i ordered a set of Eibach 2” lowering springs as I learned the PPV rear springs are the main cause of the firm ride (along with the Monroe shocks/struts).

check out the difference between the lowering springs and the PPV springs:

View attachment 234251

Crazy that the PPV springs are shorter, yet ride about a 1/2” higher when installed.

overall made a big difference in the ride comfort without losing the PPV lowered look and handling. My front and rear stance is close to level as possible.
I bet the variable coil design and smaller wire would have a much softer ride.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still chasing down ways to soften my harsh ride. Done a lot of the past 1 1/2 years:

Belltech Street Performance struts and shocks
Eibach 2" drop springs (rear)
Sway bar end links & bushings (front & back)
Tie rods
Strut housing
New Bridgestone Alenza tires 275/55/20 (dumped my generic Achilles tires with only 4k miles)
Bunch of other stuff

Anyway, it get better with ever upgrade.

Question, has anyone changed out the PPV sway bars (front & rear) with civilian style or performance aftermarket? Did it make the ride softer? How about changing out the front springs? I heard the front springs on the PPV are like the civilian versions, but know for sure the rear springs are different than the civilian versions.

I'm really looking to remove the horrible shacking over bumps. Feels like my dash and doors are going to come off LOL.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What load range are your tires and what air pressure are you running them at? I have seen tire shops simply inflate the tires to the max psi instead of recommended pressure.

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done a decent amount of what you listed and still have a horrible ride. Feels like the truck is going to rattle itself apart one of these days.
Since I just sold my BMW I plan to dive back into the ride quality, I’ll keep you posted.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What load range are your tires and what air pressure are you running them at? I have seen tire shops simply inflate the tires to the max psi instead of recommended pressure.

I’m running at 33 psi. It’s not the tires. I have the most expensive and nice tires (did make a difference switching from generic tires). This is my 3rd set of tires in 1 1/2 years, chasing down ways to soften the ride based on people’s feedback.

Hope my thread gets solved one day and helps others save money and address the same issue

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running at 33 psi. It’s not the tires. I have the most expensive and nice tires (did make a difference switching from generic tires). This is my 3rd set of tires in 1 1/2 years, chasing down ways to soften the ride based on people’s feedback.

Hope my thread gets solved one day and helps others save money and address the same issue
GL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne