Help with 2009 PPV Harsh Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello forum!

I have read many different threads on this topic without a defined answer.

I just purchased a 2009 PPV and love many aspects of it (I’m kind of making it into an LTZ) but hate the harsh ride. I’m not trying to make this into my new body Yukon Denali, but some improvement.

Currently when driving it, I feel every bump and the truck feels like it’s falling apart and rattles. I currently have about 110K miles and assume its the original shocks and struts.

What have others done to soften the ride? I don’t want to change the look by changing the coil springs to civian models (unless I have to). I see some have gone with Belstein shocks (no clue on what model), but don’t know if they are changing the front or rear coils. Anyway... any help would be amazing :)

Denslow Burhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Initially after I purchased my 2011 PPV, I changed the suspension to the standard truck version of the suspension, front and rear, springs and shocks. I've since decided that I prefer the original ride and have replaced everything again to original. Now I have a complete set of shocks and springs for the non-PPV (assembled) sitting in boxes, all factory parts (dealer AC Delco) - if you're interested. The ride was considerably softer but still handled well. I just drive mine aggressively and wanted the firmness back. PM me if interested. I can put together some photos for you.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you just got it, make sure the tire pressure isn't too high. That seems to be a common thing with dealers.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hands down, the best thing you can do is get rid of those Goodyear RSA's, and when you do go up on the profile size. I did just that, and replaced the tired suspension with Belltech Suspension kit (I am actually lower than PPV height, but the ride is much better). Even if you replace your stock suspension with factory replacement struts/shocks, the ride will be night and day difference with the tires. They are going to be the most important factor when trying to get a smoother ride.

My tire choice/size is in my sig below. I've got about 7k miles on these Conti's and Belltech stuff, haven't looked back....

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great recommendations. Decided to replace front and rear shocks with Monroe 39106 for fronts and 911545 for rears. Still a crazy firm ride.

I did also replace strut mounts as i learned one reason for the horrible ride was a damaged strut mount on the drivers side. Now i know why it shook the truck every time i hit a tiny bump.

I did reuse the springs as I didn’t want to alter the ride height.

532AB3D5-CF48-4B93-9B92-927A9D30CBC4.jpeg 97B3456D-B8CB-4677-A1BB-F88DBD706D5D.jpeg

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember the front springs are stock, same as any 2WD Tahoe. And you're gonna need to get rid of those tires for something with more sidewall for a better ride, but keep in mind that is going to bring you to stock Tahoe height. If you want the same ride height you'll have to put lowering springs on it like I did.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just a quick update on my hash ride... i did all the above and still rides like crap.

Both front and rear shocks were replaced as listed in my previous post. I also changed my tires to OEM 20” wheel and tires. Same boat :(

The ride is firm, but what is scary, it’s so firm that when driving the speed limit on the freeway and hitting the smallest of bumps, throws my Tahoe all over (and also rattles). Any ideas or is this just what it is?

I did have the tires balanced and truck aligned after shock install.

ChrisSRT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked all of the other bushings in the suspension and steering systems, sounds more like worn parts else where. I would recheck every pivot point in both systems, don't forget to check tie rod ball joints as well.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So just a quick update on my hash ride... i did all the above and still rides like crap.

Both front and rear shocks were replaced as listed in my previous post. I also changed my tires to OEM 20” wheel and tires. Same boat :(

The ride is firm, but what is scary, it’s so firm that when driving the speed limit on the freeway and hitting the smallest of bumps, throws my Tahoe all over (and also rattles). Any ideas or is this just what it is?

I did have the tires balanced and truck aligned after shock install.

If you wanted a smoother ride you shouldn't have replaced the struts/shocks with the PPV stuff. If you would have went with the non auto ride standard stuff it would be a softer ride.

The PPV suspension is designed to be stiffer for less body roll and better handling.

OP
OP
B

balln2k11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wanted a smoother ride you shouldn't have replaced the struts/shocks with the PPV stuff. If you would have went with the non auto ride standard stuff it would be a softer ride.

The PPV suspension is designed to be stiffer for less body roll and better handling.

I wish I would have know that the civilian shocks would have worked with the PPVs and kept the same ride height. If anyone is looking for a deal on like new front and rear shocks (and maybe coils) please PM me. I'm going to switch to the Belltech suspension system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium