Help me not suck at washing my truck lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BEEMDUB

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
CHAMOIS and you wring it out... i have a 24x18 cham for the boats and i use it on the truck paid $28 for it about 8 years ago and it is the best damn thing you can buy,.. to keep them good and absorbing.. i ring out and roll put in a zip lock and in the fridge in garage.. it is the ONLY WAY TO DRY ANYTHING...

by god i dont even use paper towels to clean the windows.. paper towels are for dog piss on the floor, spilt juice, dry hands, eating hot wings... love of all things worthy of a nice paint job and a shine keep PAPER TOWELs the H3LL away from them..

you recommend paper towels or lemon again = BAN end of subject

hmm so basically 1 good large chamois = all these damn microfibers I have? lol I do like the sound of having one towel

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea one towel i can dry entire hood in 3 passes.. i fluff it out all way open and flat and one smooth pull to the grill.. gets it all and smooth as glass..one big is the way to go... i use micro fiber for the windows..

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of Meguiars stuff but have been thinking of trying out Adams.

I would hold off on that and sign up for autogeekonline.net. Not nearly as expensive as adams and much more selection with brands like Wolfgang, DP, Chemical Guys, Griots, Meguiars and mothers.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After mine has a good coat of wax or sealant on it.....I use a leaf blower to get the majority of the water off and out of all the cracks and such. Then I use a towel to get what is left. I also rain-x my windows so all the water rolls off quite nicely ;) And yes wash it out of direct sunlight and when the truck is cool too...otherwise you will get a ton of waterspots especially with a black vehicle.

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would skip the chamois and get a cobra guzzle MF towel.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dry my truck with the rag I use for oil changes....

In all seriousness pls don't use paper towls unless bounce started making them out of microfibers

sent from my Droid DNA using tapatalk

jerrito1

Reaction score
I'll give you my technique from when I had my BMW. Hadn't had a chance to wash my truck yet since I am in an apartment complex right now.

In order to prevent or minimize swirl marks I'll do the two bucket method with Grit Guard. One bucket is water and the other is soap and water. Use the water bucket to rinse the shammy and remove most of the dirt. Then soap the shammy up with the other bucket. Grit guard help remove most of the dirt from the shammi and help to prevent swirls on the paint. Check out the auto detailing forums. They give a lot of good advice on washing and maintaining your car.

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any professional detailer will tell you all you need is:

1) Dish soap
2) Paper towels
3) Water (clean is optional)

Use paper towels to spread dish soap around the car, rinse car, finish by patting dry with paper towels.
I'm crying Laughing. This is one one the funniest posts I've real in a while. And then came the Lemmon...I damn near pissed myself.

BEEMDUB, I feel your pain with having Black. I use a waffle weave microfiber for drying and can get the whole truck done with just one. The cobra one Marcus suggested, is similar to the towel I use, but the key is using a "waffle weave" microfiber bc it has the pockets to absorb lots of h2o. Using it to blot the paint dry will minimize marring. And On the horizontal surfaces you can lay the entire towel flat and drag it by the edges so only the weight of the towel is on the paint. It soaks most everything up.

Another suggestion, regardless of your drying medium, is to flood the paint with a final rinse with just the hose pouring, which causes water to "sheet" and run off the paint. I didn't know this until I started getting into detailing and it's a stupid simple trick.

In addition you can use a quick detailer to add a protective barrier while you're drying. I actual use a spray wax from Griots Garage that is awesome. It works really good when the paint is slightly wet so all I do is spray on and dry with my waffle-weave, and the shine is awesome.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we please stop mucking this thread up for people who might be actually interested in keeping a black car swirl free?

There is NO reason to spend a lot of time drying a car........ with proper paint protection the water sheets off anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo