Help me find this oil leak please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valley pan is under the intake manifold. Your knock sensors screw into it.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right in front of the oil pressure sensor. If you not seeing oil by the sender it's more than likely,ely not the valley tray or cam sensor. Crank sensor is right behind the starter. Do you have a check engine light by chance?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
John03Z71

John03Z71

Reaction score
Right in front of the oil pressure sensor. If you not seeing oil by the sender it's more than likely,ely not the valley tray or cam sensor. Crank sensor is right behind the starter. Do you have a check engine light by chance?

I had a check engine light a couple weeks ago that stayed on for about 3 days then went off, hasn't come back on since. I did check the crank sensor behind the starter, no leaks there.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a check engine light a couple weeks ago that stayed on for about 3 days then went off, hasn't come back on since. I did check the crank sensor behind the starter, no leaks there.
Reason I asked about the check engine light is you may have clogged cats. This may be cause the heads to pressurize and force oil out the valve covers. Path of least resistance. My cats were clogged bad in my old engine and the thing seeped oil everyway possible. Eventually coated the engine..

If it's dripping there has got to be an obvious source. Did they check to see is the rear plate was properly aligned before putting in the new seal? I have the plate alignment tools from Sac City Corvette and I haven't had any issues with leaks. I didn't want to chance having to do it twice..

The gray piece is the alignment tool, but the plate has a big gasket around it too..if they removed the plate they need to RTV the corners connected to the oil pan or you will have a bad leak..df7bc217876a28cdfcfbdd5fc84bed31.jpg

OP
OP
John03Z71

John03Z71

Reaction score
Reason I asked about the check engine light is you may have clogged cats. This may be cause the heads to pressurize and force oil out the valve covers. Path of least resistance. My cats were clogged bad in my old engine and the thing seeped oil everyway possible. Eventually coated the engine..

If it's dripping there has got to be an obvious source. Did they check to see is the rear plate was properly aligned before putting in the new seal? I have the plate alignment tools from Sac City Corvette and I haven't had any issues with leaks. I didn't want to chance having to do it twice..

The gray piece is the alignment tool, but the plate has a big gasket around it too..if they removed the plate they need to RTV the corners connected to the oil pan or you will have a bad leak..df7bc217876a28cdfcfbdd5fc84bed31.jpg

Thanks for the input. What other symptoms would be present if cats were clogged? Idle has been a bit rough and also fast/heavy acceleration, without flooring it (staying in same gear), is pretty sluggish and “jerky”, especially noticed it this summer when a/c compressor would be on it would be much more prominent.

Don’t want to derail off original topic too much, no an alignment tool wasn’t used when we did the rear main, and RTV was used.

Thanks again

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. What other symptoms would be present if cats were clogged? Idle has been a bit rough and also fast/heavy acceleration, without flooring it (staying in same gear), is pretty sluggish and “jerky”, especially noticed it this summer when a/c compressor would be on it would be much more prominent.

Don’t want to derail off original topic too much, no an alignment tool wasn’t used when we did the rear main, and RTV was used.

Thanks again
Honestly everything you described could be signs of your cats going bad. If you are down on power already it's gonna be more noticeable with the extra parasitic drag from tye ac compressor.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
so did you ever get it to stop leaking? mine does the same- first sign of oil after cleanup always on the inside starter bolt. changed the oil pressure switch - no change. the sensor above the starter was dry. flywheel is dry.

OP
OP
John03Z71

John03Z71

Reaction score
so did you ever get it to stop leaking? mine does the same- first sign of oil after cleanup always on the inside starter bolt. changed the oil pressure switch - no change. the sensor above the starter was dry. flywheel is dry.

Yes, if you scroll up a handful of posts it turned out to be my rear main. I popped the inspection cover off the flywheel and it appeared mostly dry but a reputable shop pointed out some oil collecting around the bottom/inside area and others that weren’t so easy to spot at first glance. I still have some minor leaks at the front timing cover area but nothing near as bad as the faucet leak that was my rear main. I found a “shade tree” mechanic to do mine in my driveway on a Sunday afternoon for a fraction of what a shop would have charged / what I was quoted.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Decided to try this cheap endoscope somebody gave me to check for oil back by the camshaft position sensor, oil pressure sensor, etc. I know it’s blurry, but it looks like oil to me. I swapped the oil unit before. Anybody else think this looks like my leak? BA43D931-0B48-4C3E-84BD-1AD2576B6D74.jpegBA71FCA6-7253-41BB-8C5D-3387F35654DC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645