Help me “bulletproof” my K2500....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your fuel and brake lines for corrosion.

For sure ... my 08 Burb here in Canada is on its second set of replacement brake lines. The PO opted for cheap steel lines. I had to replace them again after they rusted out and blew a leak. Used the NiCop lines this time so the rest of the truck should rust out before I have to do the lines again.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? mind. blown.

I just thought it was a straight 36...lord knows my wallet feels that punch when it comes.

The GMT400s, even the 1500s, carried 42 gallons. Wish mine carried more, it rides better with weight back there. Since the last hurricane threat, my tow gear has been in the back along with 80 pounds of charcoal and know if that stuff is removed she'll get a little bouncy again. Will have to empty it out as Thanksgiving is coming up and will be hauling the chow down to my parents' home this year instead of eating at ours.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? mind. blown.

I just thought it was a straight 36...lord knows my wallet feels that punch when it comes.

It's actually 39. I remember when gas prices were over $4 a gallon. One time I filled up at a place that capped pre-pay swipes at $50. Had to swipe three times, for a total of $140.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really liking my 2011 Suburban 2500 SLT and am hoping to make it last another 20-years. Not a daily driver and it has 117k well kept miles on it. What should I be looking at for upgrades to the engine/driveline..? Currently it’s just a family cruiser but hoping to get a pull behind camper next spring. I’m already a fanatic about maintenance so we are good there. I saw someone mention a “transmission tune” in another thread....what would that consist of....?
We would be happy to help with a tune! With transmission tuning, some of the things Justin (the tuner) can do are, shift points and torque converter remapped for better response, desired shift times shortened and shift pressures increased, transmission downshift delays can be removed.

mike singleton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m really liking my 2011 Suburban 2500 SLT and am hoping to make it last another 20-years. Not a daily driver and it has 117k well kept miles on it. What should I be looking at for upgrades to the engine/driveline..? Currently it’s just a family cruiser but hoping to get a pull behind camper next spring. I’m already a fanatic about maintenance so we are good there. I saw someone mention a “transmission tune” in another thread....what would that consist of....?
Have you changed the Trans Fluid previously - Normally it should be changed about every 30K. Transfer case and Diffs should be changed out also at 100K - Use synthetic GM products when you can. If it's never been changed, I would hesitant to chance it at this point.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed the Trans Fluid previously - Normally it should be changed about every 30K. Transfer case and Diffs should be changed out also at 100K - Use synthetic GM products when you can. If it's never been changed, I would hesitant to chance it at this point.

I dont recall the interval ever being that low, even when driven/towed hard. I thought it was closer to 100k for trans fluids but 60k or so would be playing it safe.

Transfer case is 30k I believe while diffs are also at 100k.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Recommended maintenance intervals come as severe driving and normal driving. If you read the fine print you will likely find that you don't drive in the normal range. MOST people qualify for the severe range and maintenance work is done at quicker time and mileage intervals.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya no way in Hell I would run my transmission or any fluids 100k without a service, even though it could go that far that's just asking for trouble

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow, short post, but yet you managed so much bad information.

The GM owners manual for the OP's truck states trans fluid should be changed every 100k with "normal service," and every 50k for "severe service." Not 30k.
Same owners manual states every 50k for the transfer case. Not 100k.
Owners manual also states synthetic for the rear axle, not "when you can." And it actually does not state any recommended change interval.
And lastly, FFS, please stop spreading the "it's never been changed, so don't bother doing it" myth. If you accept that statement, you're basically resigning yourself to a transmission failure. "The fluid is completely shot, has no lubricity and the additives are gone, but gosh, let's keep running it!" That's a guarantee of the transmission failing.

Even if a transmission has 200k and it's never been serviced, change the fluid. One of two things will happen:
1) Fluid is changed, everything works. You're ahead of the game.
2) Fluid is changed - transmission fails. Unlikely, but this was going to happen FOR SURE if you didn't change the fluid.

I beat the crap out of my truck, so I do the trans (flush), transfer and axles every 50k. Since the power steering also powers the brake system, I've also had that replaced twice, at irregular intervals. Truck is at 195k and is still all-original. I fully expect it to go at least 300k.

One more thing - don't think about coolant changes in the context of "will it still protect against cold temperatures?" Think of it in the context of "does it still provide lubricity for the water pump?" Letting your coolant go too long will lead to premature water pump failure.

OP
OP
B

bondservant2

Reaction score
As mentioned I bought the truck used with 117k miles from a Dealership. There were no maintenance records so I had to go by cosmetics and overall appearance to get an idea of what type of care it received. It’s in VERY good to excellent condition - otherwise I would not have bought it.
I have to agree with intheburbs on all points. Yes a neglected component is not a good idea but to NEVER service it is worse. I did a pan drop fluid change rather than a flush and will drain /replace the trans fluid a few times before next summer (I added a drain plug to the trans pan).
This is a pleasure vehicle and will mostly sit in the garage until needed and then will go out on long vacation trips. But that doesn’t mean it will be neglected. I’m too OCD for that.
Also thanks to intheburbs for suggesting the DuraTrac tires when I asked about tire replacements....found a smoking deal on a set and though I was a bit worried they would be too aggressive, they really ride nice and look great. I did have to remove my front mud flaps though because they rubbed because of their height. Oh well....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon

Latest posts