Help me “bulletproof” my K2500....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bondservant2

Reaction score
I’m really liking my 2011 Suburban 2500 SLT and am hoping to make it last another 20-years. Not a daily driver and it has 117k well kept miles on it. What should I be looking at for upgrades to the engine/driveline..? Currently it’s just a family cruiser but hoping to get a pull behind camper next spring. I’m already a fanatic about maintenance so we are good there. I saw someone mention a “transmission tune” in another thread....what would that consist of....?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Along with the absolute best you can do to keep the trans cool and tune it, as you said, the next thing I would do is beef up the suspension as much as possible to handle any loads being towed and have the right load rating tires on the rig. You may already have load range "E" tires and that is a good thing. You also want to keep the engine cool as well. The more you tow up and down hills/passes the more work you put the engine and trans through. Do you know the diff ratios? Synthetic fluids is a must. Make sure the drivelines and joints are in top notch condition. There will be others here that will give even more info/recommendations.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact BlackBear tuning, get a trans cooler, regular maintenance. There is also a lot of suspension upgrades that can be had from aftermarket companies

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flush cooling system, flush brake system, flush power steering system, replace heater hoses & "T's", 02 sensors (all 4 are due after 100k), belts, inspect all wires and looms and look for worn area's often from sitting and rubbing on the same spot for so many miles it helps to put new zip ties as needed here and there, plugs and wires are also due at 100k, check wheel hubs, check ball joints.

OP
OP
B

bondservant2

Reaction score
Outside of the Blackbear tuning I’m pretty up to date on all the 100k mile parts replacement. Didn’t think about 02 sensors....thanks.
With changing the gear oils over to RedLine last week I also dropped the trans pan and changed the filter and added a drain plug for future fluid exchange.
I was under the impression the K2500 trucks had a trans cooler.....it does have the tow package.....

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m really liking my 2011 Suburban 2500 SLT and am hoping to make it last another 20-years. Not a daily driver and it has 117k well kept miles on it. What should I be looking at for upgrades to the engine/driveline..? Currently it’s just a family cruiser but hoping to get a pull behind camper next spring. I’m already a fanatic about maintenance so we are good there. I saw someone mention a “transmission tune” in another thread....what would that consist of....?

Yes, yours will have the external transmission cooler, engine oil cooler and power steering cooler too. Also should have ITBC, JL1. When BlackBear does a tune, Justin also modifies the performance of the transmission. For me, this was my favorite part of the tune and makes the truck so much more enjoyable to drive. Among other things, this entails pulling back on torque management and making the shifting between gears happen quicker, meaning the time it takes to shift between 1st and 2nd for example faster than normal at whatever speed.

Maybe we can get them to elaborate? @BlackBearPerf

The 2500 is already about as stout and durable as necessary, just keep up on maintenance.

It would be cool to see if you can add the software improvements that came out in '12 and '13 to an earlier year. Towing prowess would be improved with Trailer Sway Control, Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode, Powertrain Grade Braking - Normal Mode and even Hill Start Assist.

Your truck has two fuel tanks. I always wondered why they put the little 26 gallon tank as your main when the 1500 Suburbans have a 31.5 and of course wonder if the bigger tank would fit under yours. I also wonder if your secondary tank above the spare could be made to fit above my spare but that's a separate topic. An extra 5 or 11.5 gallons would be nice when towing.

Last edited:

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the 2500's have the trans cooler. If you live in a state where salt is used the power steering cooler is in front of the radiator upper left. Mine on my Avalanche 2500 rusted out. Drop the trans pan and change the filter.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Blackbear tune out about 50% torque management in the transmission on my 2008 2500. Made a big difference.

Regards to "bulletproofing," it already is. Change the fluids religiously, garage it, and wash/rinse the undercarriage several times each winter if you live in the salt belt.

My '08 has 196k miles and has lived its entire life in Indiana and Michigan. Very minor surface rust on the undercarriage and no body rust, and mechanically, she's all-original. Hell, I haven't even had to do a brake job in the last 100k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts