HELP! Buying a 07 Yukon Denali ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mailmanbennett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all new here ! Hoping for some feedback and help . I’m currently tossing the idea of purchasing a 07 Denali from a family member. It’s a one owner vehicle and has had all service / work done at dealer over the years supposedly.

It has the 6.2 but has 285k on the odometer currently . They are asking $4k for it . I test drove it and it felt good driving but “ check stabilitrack “ or something along those lines came on while doing so , I also notice check engine on and the oil pressure gauge fluctuated a lot . Sometimes reaching 0 when stoping and riding when accelerating.

They are willing to send it to the GMC dealership this week to be checked over etc . My question is should I let the miles worry me ? This vehicle will be my new daily driver . What’s the life expectancy of one of these vehicles if regularly maintenance? I’d hate for it to sh*t the bed on me a few months out of the gate and have to dump a bunch into it lol .

Thanks for any and all feedback

diesel_dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 Denali XL with 224k miles on it two weeks ago for $5,900. I think $4k is a fair price and if the truck is in decent shape, I'd buy it with the issues you mentioned. Stabilitrak thing could be as simple as a loose connection (mine had a loose connector at the left rear wheel) and the fluctuating oil pressure could be a bad oil pressure sensor or leaky pickup tube seal. If you're handy either could be fixed for less than $100 and a day of your time. Obviously you're gonna want to figure out the oil pressure issue sooner than later because that could kill the motor if it's not getting oil.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285k is pretty close to 'end of life,' IMHO, especially for a half-ton.

You're looking at major components needing to be overhauled/replaced, soon - axles/diffs, wheel bearings, transmission, engine.

The 6.2 is a good motor, but it's a hot-rod motor, not a heavy-duty motor. There's a reason the 2500 and 3500 trucks get the iron-blocked 6.0, not the aluminum-blocked 6.2.

As said above, the warning lights could be something minor, but that might not be the case.

I'm super-**** about my vehicles. I want my stuff operating in top shape. Hell, it's bugging me right now that I've got a TPMS warning on my Suburban.. It's just a weak battery in one of the sensors, but it bugs me. If that's you, just realize you'll likely be always chasing little things, and also some big things.

Personally, I'd pass on it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Yes, the Stabilitrak problem could be a loose sensor connection or the sensor itself or a hub bearing problem and would likely be found by a thorough inspection at the dealer mentioned and if the seller is willing to do that, take advantage of that, no matter who ends up paying. As long as you don't hear engine rattles, the sensor is likely the oil pressure problem. Make sure to use Genuine GM parts for replacement, or AC Delco. There may also be an inline filter to that switch that should also be changed at the same time. I have read here that to check for oil pickup tube seal problem, find a steep downhill slope and park nose downhill. Then shut off engine and add 2 quarts of oil that will overfill the pan. Restart and if pressure is then correct, that means the additional oil covered the leaking seal and that is why the pressure is good. Be sure to be ready to shut off engine asap after that and crawl under there to drain the extra oil out for the drive home. I guess you could do it in your driveway if you can jack up, SAFELY, the rear of the rig. If it is the seal for the pickup tube, that will mean dropping the oil pan and replacing that seal. Again use Genuine GM parts or AC Delco or I do like Fel Pro parts as well. Good luck.

Like @intheburbs said above, the engine may or may not give up the ghost at that mileage but it would also depend on how well the rig was taken care of and according to your post, the work was done at the dealer and therefore should have all receipts for maintenance or repairs and can list here or have the dealer print out that info from their computers. The thing is, in this current used vehicle market and you looking, at least you may be able to get this repair/maintenance info where you may not get with a different used vehicle that you purchase. The used market is crazy. How is the body on this rig? Rusted in places? There is a 2007 Denali with same engine in my area, that is listed at a dealer for $11k with 156k miles on it.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all new here ! Hoping for some feedback and help . I’m currently tossing the idea of purchasing a 07 Denali from a family member. It’s a one owner vehicle and has had all service / work done at dealer over the years supposedly.

It has the 6.2 but has 285k on the odometer currently . They are asking $4k for it . I test drove it and it felt good driving but “ check stabilitrack “ or something along those lines came on while doing so , I also notice check engine on and the oil pressure gauge fluctuated a lot . Sometimes reaching 0 when stoping and riding when accelerating.

They are willing to send it to the GMC dealership this week to be checked over etc . My question is should I let the miles worry me ? This vehicle will be my new daily driver . What’s the life expectancy of one of these vehicles if regularly maintenance? I’d hate for it to sh*t the bed on me a few months out of the gate and have to dump a bunch into it lol .

Welcome Bennett! At this mileage she's going to need continual repairs to keep her running in good form. Some unscheduled, most can be planned for. But with $4K entry price, even if you spend $30K over the next couple of years you get to drive a comfortable, safe vehicle for a fraction of what it cost new. Do you like to turn wrenches?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If they have the service records, take a good look at what's been done in terms of major service up until now. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some bigger-ticket items have been taken care of already.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
M

mailmanbennett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Yes, the Stabilitrak problem could be a loose sensor connection or the sensor itself or a hub bearing problem and would likely be found by a thorough inspection at the dealer mentioned and if the seller is willing to do that, take advantage of that, no matter who ends up paying. As long as you don't hear engine rattles, the sensor is likely the oil pressure problem. Make sure to use Genuine GM parts for replacement, or AC Delco. There may also be an inline filter to that switch that should also be changed at the same time. I have read here that to check for oil pickup tube seal problem, find a steep downhill slope and park nose downhill. Then shut off engine and add 2 quarts of oil that will overfill the pan. Restart and if pressure is then correct, that means the additional oil covered the leaking seal and that is why the pressure is good. Be sure to be ready to shut off engine asap after that and crawl under there to drain the extra oil out for the drive home. I guess you could do it in your driveway if you can jack up, SAFELY, the rear of the rig. If it is the seal for the pickup tube, that will mean dropping the oil pan and replacing that seal. Again use Genuine GM parts or AC Delco or I do like Fel Pro parts as well. Good luck.

Like @intheburbs said above, the engine may or may not give up the ghost at that mileage but it would also depend on how well the rig was taken care of and according to your post, the work was done at the dealer and therefore should have all receipts for maintenance or repairs and can list here or have the dealer print out that info from their computers. The thing is, in this current used vehicle market and you looking, at least you may be able to get this repair/maintenance info where you may not get with a different used vehicle that you purchase. The used market is crazy. How is the body on this rig? Rusted in places? There is a 2007 Denali with same engine in my area, that is listed at a dealer for $11k with 156k miles on it.
The body is pretty clean for the most part for spending it’s life in Missouri . The market is definitely harsh right now . I’ve been looking for a decent daily for a month now and the suv / truck market is insane . People are selling trucks with bad engines for $5k here ! I’ll attach a photo of the rig I have here .

Attachments

• 022F7EE0-D6CB-4281-9DA1-59A688500EA0.jpeg
    022F7EE0-D6CB-4281-9DA1-59A688500EA0.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons