HELP, i'm going crazy with this noise!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i have an 01 suburban, 1500 2wheel drive, 5.3. i have this damn squeak in my belts i can't get rid of. so far i have: 1. changed both belts, 2. changed both tensioners, the alternator and it still freaking squeaks!! i changed the alternator today because with the belt off and spinning by hand i heard a slight squeak. then it still made the noise so went and bought the main tensioner. it went away for like 5 mins then came right back!! its so damn annoying!! seems to be very slight at idle and then when i take off it gets really bad. seems to happen more when its cold. but lately even after 1 hour of driving i can still hear it. what else can i do?? i want to get some belt conditioner and try that but it seems like a cover up??

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to be much help but it really could be any of the other pulleys. Have you tried taking the belt to the A/C off and just running the main serpentine belt? That will elimiate the compressor from your list of possible squeaks.

TALL00TAHOE

Reaction score
I'd check out the power steering pump and alternator but more than likely youd probably notice varying readings on your ampmeter if the alternator was the problem.

OP
OP
W

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i already checked the a/c belt and its not that. seems to be coming from the top area but i cant nail it down. i was checking the pulleys and it looks like one of them is "glassed" over where the belt hits it on the back side, not where the grooves are. could it need to be cleaned off with a scotch brite type pad?

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine squeaks too but im hoping its just the tensioner

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like it could only be 3 other things. Power Steering pump, water pump, or harmonic balancer.

OP
OP
W

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i think i finally got it fixed! all it tool was a trip to the dealer parts counter. seems the belt i had wasnt wide enough. bought one from the dealer, ac delco and it was maybe 1/16th of an inch wider. but that seems to have made a difference. i was looking for a good year gatorback belt but no one around here carries good year belts anymore?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10