Help finding an answer with A/C issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think it could be some debris in the HVAC fan cavity? A leaf got in mine when I changed the cabin filter and had a very similar sound to what you’re describing.

To check, remove the cover on the bottom of the HVAC box in the passenger footwell (7mm screws). You’ll see the bottom of the fan next to the passenger kick panel. It’s held on with 3 screws and will lower into the footwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think it could be some debris in the HVAC fan cavity? A leaf got in mine when I changed the cabin filter and had a very similar sound to what you’re describing.

To check, remove the cover on the bottom of the HVAC box in the passenger footwell (7mm screws). You’ll see the bottom of the fan next to the passenger kick panel. It’s held on with 3 screws and will lower into the footwell.

Thank you. On my list to do this weekend. Regardless of noise, car has 37k miles. Should be changed anyway.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Please let me know what it says if you find it. I did put a 13mil deep socket on the bracket. Got 1/2 a turn out of it. (Obviously not much force applied.

It is 17 and some 18s only. 1234yf has a different line.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. On my list to do this weekend. Regardless of noise, car has 37k miles. Should be changed anyway.

I re-read my post and want to make sure I’m clear. I was talking about accessing the HVAC fan. The cabin filter is accessed by removing the panel behind the glove box.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I re-read my post and want to make sure I’m clear. I was talking about accessing the HVAC fan. The cabin filter is accessed by removing the panel behind the glove box.

Thank you for mentioning this. My filter will be here tomorrow. While I will change the filter anyway, I will also lower the panel you mentioned to make sure the fan is free of any debris.

Geojarn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 15 Yukon. It was a leaf in the blower motor. I had to drop the blower to find it. Could not see it even with an inspection mirror. Drove us crazy for Amos’s a year. I was ready to tear the dash out that day!

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. Took the filter out and it looked partially chewed. I’m the second owner, bought it with 22k miles. No doubt that filter I pulled was an original. Is it possible for something like a small mouse to make its way onto the filter?
Anyway, new filter, cleaned the fan, seems all good now.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. Took the filter out and it looked partially chewed. I’m the second owner, bought it with 22k miles. No doubt that filter I pulled was an original. Is it possible for something like a small mouse to make its way onto the filter?
Anyway, new filter, cleaned the fan, seems all good now.

Was there any debris in the fan and/or it’s cavity?

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, on the cavity mostly. Used an air tool to carefully blow things off and reinstalled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE