HELP!!! Bilstein 5100s on a AWD Denali with Z55

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Has anyone on here successfully installed Bilstien 5100s on a Yukon Denali or any other SUV with the Z55 suspension?

If so, I need some guidance!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here successfully installed Bilstien 5100s on a Yukon Denali or any other SUV with the Z55 suspension?

Lots of people have put Bilsteins on their Yukon’s. However, you will not have the Autoride function, which changes the damping rate of your shocks, anymore and will need to get a resister pack so you don’t get a suspension error code.

I am assuming you also have Auto Level Control where an air compressor inflated airbags in your rear shocks to level the vehicle. You will lose this also if you put Bilsteins in the rear.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Lots of people have put Bilsteins on their Yukon’s. However, you will not have the Autoride function, which changes the damping rate of your shocks, anymore and will need to get a resister pack so you don’t get a suspension error code.

I am assuming you also have Auto Level Control where an air compressor inflated airbags in your rear shocks to level the vehicle. You will lose this also if you put Bilsteins in the rear.

I’m aware I will lose the autoride function. The problem I’m having is I took it to a shop to do the suspension work since I don’t have to tools to do it at home, plus it will need an alignment anyway. The shop is telling me they can’t use the bilstein struts on my truck because it has the Z55 suspension, and that the geometry of the control arms and other stuff is different from the non z55 trucks. Also the bilstein struts require the stock springs and spring seats, but the spring seats from my Z55 struts don’t fit, and I can’t seem to find just the spring seat anywhere. Now It seems like I’m stuck trying to find some non z55 struts from a scrap yard and use the seats from those, or ditch the Bilsteins all together and go with the Arnott kit.

wcreech19

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm definitely following this thread since I'm looking to put Bilstein 5100's on my '08 Tahoe LTZ 4X4. I haven't heard this problem before though. Hope someone can chime in.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You're considering 5100s because it's lifted?

OP
OP

Reaction score
You're considering 5100s because it's lifted?

No, It’s lowered right now, I’m wanting to take it back to stock height but +1” or so in the front.

I’ve been on the phone with Bilstein and GM and they both confirmed the overall suspension is different between autoride and non autoride trucks. Bilstien said they CANNOT recommend any of their products for the Z55 suspension trucks, because they never tested their products as a direct replacement. GM also told me the control arms are different, but could not say if they’re just made from a different material or have different dimensions as well. I also haven’t found anyone who has successfully installed bilsteins or any replacement strut for a NON Z55 truck on a Z55.

At this point I’m about ready to return the 5100s and go with the Arnott Kit and a leveling spacer.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m aware I will lose the autoride function. The problem I’m having is I took it to a shop to do the suspension work since I don’t have to tools to do it at home, plus it will need an alignment anyway. The shop is telling me they can’t use the bilstein struts on my truck because it has the Z55 suspension, and that the geometry of the control arms and other stuff is different from the non z55 trucks. Also the bilstein struts require the stock springs and spring seats, but the spring seats from my Z55 struts don’t fit, and I can’t seem to find just the spring seat anywhere. Now It seems like I’m stuck trying to find some non z55 struts from a scrap yard and use the seats from those, or ditch the Bilsteins all together and go with the Arnott kit.
@0862 Most of what they are saying sounds incorrect except for that last part. To install you do need the stock spring and spring seat from the factory non-air ride strut. Other than that the bilsteins should fit just fine. I recommend looking on craigslist for a used set of factory struts that you can take those parts from. A someone who just did this I recommend buying new MOOG spring upper and lower insulators to go along with this. Just find some used stock struts to get those parts from and you'll be fine. I just replaced my entire suspension myself with MOOG HD springs and Bilsteins let me know if you have any questions.

Additionally when looking for parts online I see no parts that specify between Z55 and Z71 suspension which leads me to think that they are the same. Maybe @iamdub can clarify.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Reaction score
@0862 Most of what they are saying sounds incorrect except for that last part. To install you do need the stock spring and spring seat from the factory non-air ride strut. Other than that the bilsteins should fit just fine. I recommend looking on craigslist for a used set of factory struts that you can take those parts from. A someone who just did this I recommend buying new MOOG spring upper and lower insulators to go along with this. Just find some used stock struts to get those parts from and you'll be fine. I just replaced my entire suspension myself with MOOG HD springs and Bilsteins let me know if you have any questions.

Additionally when looking for parts online I see no parts that specify between Z55 and Z71 suspension which leads me to think that they are the same. Maybe @iamdub can clarify.

Good to know. Is yours a Z71? And are those factory auto-ride struts like the Z55 suspension? I really want to make the Bilsteins work, even if that means swapping control arms. I just want to know what I need to make it work.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Is yours a Z71? And are those factory auto-ride struts like the Z55 suspension? I really want to make the Bilsteins work, even if that means swapping control arms. I just want to know what I need to make it work.
@0862 Mine is a Z71 that uses basic springs and shocks. After looking around there is only 1 type of control arm for these trucks so I am confident that the control arms and knuckles are the same for Z55 and Z71

I recommend picking up a set of used stock struts from somewhere so you can get the parts to install the bilsteins. You will also need these LINK resistors that you will wire in to disable the autoride sensors and keep it from yelling at you when you install the bilsteins. From there you will need to get springs for the front and rear, I recommend MOOG 81244 for the front and 81069 for the rear, these are taller than stock but you will need springs because the airride springs won't work with the bilsteins.

recap:
used factory struts (to take hardware from) $50 from craigslist
bilstein 5100s
MOOG 81244 for the front
MOOG 81069 for the rear
Resistors I linked above.

You should be good after that. With those parts it will sit taller than stock if thats ok. I only know part numbers for heavy duty part numbers because thats what I put on my Z71.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu