HELP! 2012 suburban 6L80 trans failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Just curious. Is rebuilding a transmission at home a legit option for a d.i.y'er?
I would say yes, it is an option.

The 6L80 is pretty straightforward, and parts are readily available for a reasonable price given the mass quantity of transmissions on the road.
The main requirements are a good transmissions jack, large snap ring pliers ($75), pump centering tool ($150), the rest is mostly standard tools( if you have things like a straight edge, dial calipers, feeler gauges, snap ring pliers, a brass drift, some pick tools and seal/bushing installers). You can probably get by without the pump alignment tool by using some special bolts or just not aligning at all. You can make a rudimentary clutch press with threaded rod and some metal pieces if you don't have a press.

If you have never done a transmission or never plan to do one again, there are plenty of pros than can do a quality rebuilt in their sleep on a 6L80, for very reasonable labor cost, so it really isn't worth your time. However if you are intent on learning and DIY, it is an option.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Doing a trans yourself is something that’s hands on and a learning process. It’s just really cool to understand and see what makes it tick. The only downside is if you miss something, it requires undoing everything then redoing it with replacement $ parts and the downtime, if you have it.

BobBilly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need some gearhead advice. I have a 2012 Burb with the 6L80 that has 202k miles. I was towing my boat (20ft Ranger fiberglass) and lost 3,4,5,6 gears. What would be my best route going forward in y'alls opinion? Motor runs good. Are these trannys worth rebuilding? Should I use different parts to rebuild? I have no idea about this stuff so any advice is greatly appreciated. Trying to decide if I should go cheap and sell it or rebuild it good and keep on truckin'. Thanks!
The Transmission is great, and it is way cheaper to get it Rebuilt than buy a new car, or someone else's Problems. I put a new Long block in from Rockauto and had my transmission replaced with a rebuilt and I am going on 260K now No Leaks and very reliable. I still have the original AC Compressor, but may soon need to replace the Clutch.

Best Regards

Bob D

West 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I lost my tranny in my 07 Escalade, 6L80 trans. It started going into limp mode or neutral on the 3-4 shift, usually when towing or accelerating hard. I was told it was a mechanical failure by a tranny shop so I pulled it out, had it rebuilt, Trans Star parts, all new drum and clutches with upgrades. Put it back in and had the exact same issues? The rebuilt trans was given back to me with the exact Tehcm from my failed tranny. It was an upgrade option to replace but the shop told me the Tehcm was not my problem. They were wrong. I installed a new Tehcm, actually rebuilt by a shop in Florida that did a great job on the rebuild, programmed it, offered great advice before and after install and now my tranny works fine again. I should have installed a new Tehcm prior to the rebuild. The car has 175K on it so at least now I know it has a solid transmission in there. I guess my point is, this is a very nice tranny, a rebuild gives you a 100% life again if done correctly but plan on installing a new Tehcm or rebuilt and of course a brand new torque converter as they tend to fail also.
As far as rebuilding a 6L80 myself, I have been ASE certified in Engine Performance, Engine Repair and all 5 areas of engine rebuilding so Gold Certified. I went to a guy with 30 years experience and had him rebuild my tranny. I know it is just parts but parts I have no experience with tranny parts. An experienced guy will look and know based on the wear he sees if a part is good or bad or if something has not been functioning correctly. These trannys and transfer cases are heavy and a chore to remove and then install. Not a job for a person not familiar with his tools, jacks etc to do this and not cause problems.

I think my tranny rebuild with new drum, torque converter and Tehcm rebuild and program was under $3500 and I did the R&R. Would have been much faster and far less trouble if I had installed the rebuilt Tehcm at the same time as the tranny. Mark

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost my tranny in my 07 Escalade, 6L80 trans. It started going into limp mode or neutral on the 3-4 shift, usually when towing or accelerating hard. I was told it was a mechanical failure by a tranny shop so I pulled it out, had it rebuilt, Trans Star parts, all new drum and clutches with upgrades. Put it back in and had the exact same issues? The rebuilt trans was given back to me with the exact Tehcm from my failed tranny. It was an upgrade option to replace but the shop told me the Tehcm was not my problem. They were wrong. I installed a new Tehcm, actually rebuilt by a shop in Florida that did a great job on the rebuild, programmed it, offered great advice before and after install and now my tranny works fine again. I should have installed a new Tehcm prior to the rebuild. The car has 175K on it so at least now I know it has a solid transmission in there. I guess my point is, this is a very nice tranny, a rebuild gives you a 100% life again if done correctly but plan on installing a new Tehcm or rebuilt and of course a brand new torque converter as they tend to fail also.
As far as rebuilding a 6L80 myself, I have been ASE certified in Engine Performance, Engine Repair and all 5 areas of engine rebuilding so Gold Certified. I went to a guy with 30 years experience and had him rebuild my tranny. I know it is just parts but parts I have no experience with tranny parts. An experienced guy will look and know based on the wear he sees if a part is good or bad or if something has not been functioning correctly. These trannys and transfer cases are heavy and a chore to remove and then install. Not a job for a person not familiar with his tools, jacks etc to do this and not cause problems.

I think my tranny rebuild with new drum, torque converter and Tehcm rebuild and program was under $3500 and I did the R&R. Would have been much faster and far less trouble if I had installed the rebuilt Tehcm at the same time as the tranny. Mark
Yep. I always replace the TEHCM, IMS and Harness/speed sensors when going through a 6L unit. Glad you go yours sorted out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts