Hellwig Sway Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

setconstr

Reaction score
I purchased front and rear Hellwig sway bars haven't installed them yet on my 2018 Tahoe lowered on bell tech 2" drop spindles and 4" in the rear has anyone done this and did they have any problems with rubbing ? do I need different links ? just trying to get whatever I need before hand...Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased front and rear Hellwig sway bars haven't installed them yet on my 2018 Tahoe lowered on bell tech 2" drop spindles and 4" in the rear has anyone done this and did they have any problems with rubbing ? do I need different links ? just trying to get whatever I need before hand...Thanks

You'll need shorter end links front and rear. With that 4" rear drop, you didn't get shorter end links for the stock sway bar? I always thought that, with a 4" rear drop, shorter and offset links were required. I have the DJM offset links.

The idea is for the bars to be as parallel to the ground as possible. I just went through all this on mine. Made shorter links by replacing the bolts with shorter Grade 8 ones from Home Depot. But I have almost twice the drop amount in the front as you. When I first dropped mine, I installed Moog K700528. They're 1.5" shorter than stock, but were still way too long. I ended up with 5" bolts for my drop. I think 6" would be fine for yours if you make your own. Do you still have the stock end links in the front? You might could get that Moog kit (you'll need two- one for each side), trim the spacer (thin aluminum) and just replace the bolts with some 6" ones from the hardware store.

BUT, in researching this for you, I just realized something I wish I had known. There's the Moog K700528, K700527, K700526 and K700525. Each are the same, but progressively shorter. I'm betting the K700525 or '526 would've been perfect for me. So, the '527 might be ideal for you as a direct bolt-in solution. You might have to find out the critical dimensions directly from Moog. I looked around online a little but didn't find any of that info.

Last edited:

slupie

Reaction score
I have the Belltech 2/3 drop and I rub on the factory swaybar with OEM 22" snowflakes. Hellwigs are in the garage waiting for a break in the weather in the land of rust and corruption.

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don’t need anything. Hellwigs come with all hardware. Rears include adjustable endlinks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t need anything. Hellwigs come with all hardware. Rears include adjustable endlinks.
yes he does, he needs the front end links, the rear ones that come with the hellwigs are adjustable, the front are not.
o/p you need a set of mevotech ttx or the autozone branded ones which are the same design as the mevotech.
you will still need to cut the center spacer but that is ok because the the bolt and nut is threaded from end to end so you can make them as short as you need to.
538.JPG

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then. I’m lowered and have aftermarket sway bars by Hotchkis and no modifications were needed to the front. Especially no cutting of anything. Got my Hellwig replacements about to be installed next week. I don’t need anything. Not saying you’re wrong. But I didn’t. And before doing my research on lowering i’ve never seen people talk about doing front sway bar modifications. Only the rear needing shorter or adjustable endlinks. So to the OP I guess it’s up to you. The following picture is not from my ride but another member online lowered with Hellwigs. No modifications were done. Again not saying you’re wrong but I didn’t need to do any modifications to the front for them to fit.

Attachments

• 06DA03BC-9FB7-42B8-ACA5-E520F1EAEA63.jpeg
    06DA03BC-9FB7-42B8-ACA5-E520F1EAEA63.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put 1,000 miles on my BellTech 2/3 drop with Hellwig swaybars without any issues. The rear endlinks on the Hellwig swaybars are adjustable. When you assemble the endlinks pay attention to the diameter of metal sleeves.
received_690699632498233.jpeg
received_840164873934321.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok then. I’m lowered and have aftermarket sway bars by Hotchkis and no modifications were needed to the front. Especially no cutting of anything. Got my Hellwig replacements about to be installed next week. I don’t need anything. Not saying you’re wrong. But I didn’t. And before doing my research on lowering i’ve never seen people talk about doing front sway bar modifications. Only the rear needing shorter or adjustable endlinks. So to the OP I guess it’s up to you. The following picture is not from my ride but another member online lowered with Hellwigs. No modifications were done. Again not saying you’re wrong but I didn’t need to do any modifications to the front for them to fit.
I may be wrong, but looking at the photo with the truck on the lift, it would appear to me that the sway bars are not going to be even close to level/horizontal with the floor, when lowered to the floor. The overall effectiveness of sway bars diminish quickly, when they are not horizontal to the floor.

slupie

Reaction score
You'll need shorter end links front and rear. With that 4" rear drop, you didn't get shorter end links for the stock sway bar? I always thought that, with a 4" rear drop, shorter and offset links were required. I have the DJM offset links.

The idea is for the bars to be as parallel to the ground as possible. I just went through all this on mine. Made shorter links by replacing the bolts with shorter Grade 8 ones from Home Depot. But I have almost twice the drop amount in the front as you. When I first dropped mine, I installed Moog K700528. They're 1.5" shorter than stock, but were still way too long. I ended up with 5" bolts for my drop. I think 6" would be fine for yours if you make your own. Do you still have the stock end links in the front? You might could get that Moog kit (you'll need two- one for each side), trim the spacer (thin aluminum) and just replace the bolts with some 6" ones from the hardware store.

BUT, in researching this for you, I just realized something I wish I had known. There's the Moog K700528, K700527, K700526 and K700525. Each are the same, but progressively shorter. I'm betting the K700525 or '526 would've been perfect for me. So, the '527 might be ideal for you as a direct bolt-in solution. You might have to find out the critical dimensions directly from Moog. I looked around online a little but didn't find any of that info.
Here is a link to Moog sway bar end link chart, it lists the distance between the bushings. https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal-sway-bar-end-links.asp