Heavy Duty Tie Rods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZGOAT

Reaction score
wow what did that come off of? a tractor?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
well im a mech for military and its front tie rods from a h1 Humvee im going to cut off one end of it that uses a bushing and weld up a heim joint the should work out pretty good. ive aloso doing a few more mods aswell that ive been working on finishing up front diff drop and building my own cv shafts from 1 ton cv axles and a 3rd member from h1 humvee im not to fond of out aluminum 3rd member weakness

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im a mech for military and its front tie rods from a h1 Humvee im going to cut off one end of it that uses a bushing and weld up a heim joint the should work out pretty good. ive aloso doing a few more mods aswell that ive been working on finishing up front diff drop and building my own cv shafts from 1 ton cv axles and a 3rd member from h1 humvee im not to fond of out aluminum 3rd member weakness
wow i need to follow your build. that is badass. lobe the rims on your truck btw

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally installed these tie rod sleeves. They are good but not great...

1. They cover up the adjustment for the inner tie rod. You cannot get a wrench on it to adjust... So I had to use tape and a pipe wrench - not ideal. I imagine the tire shop will be confused when they go to do an alignment.

2. They aren't a tight fit. They have some space between the inner tie rod and the sleeve. Two concerns, you can have some flex (but probably not enough to break rod so serves it's purpose). Second, it will collect dirt, debris, and worst water / moisture in there and rust the threads on the tie rod. I need to put a little bit of caulk around that space to seal it up.

It's definitely better to buy the purpose built heavy duty tie rods. Although, they are WAAAAAAY overpriced.

20210622_144235.jpg
20210622_144415.jpg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting on the sleeves. I’d like to upgrade mine at some point, however the lift installation requires trimming the TRE and a different jam nut so I’ll have to do some due diligence beforehand.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory tie rod on driver side finally bit the dust. It had play in it. Was amazed it lived to 250k miles!

I swapped out both tierods and ends. Then reinstalled the sleeves. These sleeves are even better with the moog problem solver tierods. Only concern is, it covers up the spot on the rod to attach a wrench and adjust toe... Previously I got a piece of rubber and vice grips... then clamped onto the rod as I spun it to adjust toe.

Anybody know a better way with these sleeves to adjust toe? I fear the tire shop will never figure it out and or break something...

Note to self: for another $70 I could have done the Rare Parts rods *sigh*. I think I have about $250 into all this.

Pics of new build below:

20220102_190850.jpg

Last edited: