Heater blowing barely warm air.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
First thing is do the thermostat and you can experiment with the hose from the reservoir to the radiator. Put a hose clamp around it and then squeeze it down just a bit but still allow flow. If the radiator has been changed that could help with the problem. But still don't disregard the chance of the blend door actuators causing flow problem with the air from blower.

By the way, always and I mean always, change the damn thermostat with any water pump replacement, no matter the vehicle. :chewie:
Haha well I hope the it's the damn thermostat and nothing under the dash. Watched videos of that mess with the heater core and what not and yikes. At that point I can go without heat!

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Are these damn things coolant specific? Can't remember what I used but I think it was autozone brand 50/50 mix

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The other coolant will work but will not protect the system as well. At 277k miles it may be no big deal if your plans are to trade in or sell the rig in the future but if plan to keep and protect the cooling system, then yes, drain and fill with Dex Cool.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
The other coolant will work but will not protect the system as well. At 277k miles it may be no big deal if your plans are to trade in or sell the rig in the future but if plan to keep and protect the cooling system, then yes, drain and fill with Dex Cool.
I'm keeping it for as long as possible...soon as I can get my lift fixed it's going to get torn down. Got everything for the front suspension, Steering, brakes, heads. Gaskets and all the other stuff that goes a long with it. Just need to decide on what to do with the headliner. Might go custom with a different fabric and color

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would do a compression test first to see if the lower end of that engine is in good enough shape to do heads. Low compression could be a valve problem or rings. Do a wet test if low and if stays the same, the valves are suspect. If compression comes up, the rings are the problem.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Well both heater hoses are hot as hell! I didn't did it by touch and damn it feels to hot on both. Doing a temp gun test today. I haven't bought a tech 2 yet but plan to this week. To busy finishing up some house projects while I'm off work. Didn't find a part number on the radiator but looks to be a newer one versus what would come on it. May just pinch the line for a restriction and see what they does. Luckily it blows just enough warm-ish air right now.

Think this is a head gasket leak?..oil build up right behind the thermostat housing upfront of the head.

Attachments

• 20211121_203354.jpg
    20211121_203354.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211121_203339.jpg
    20211121_203339.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
I would do a compression test first to see if the lower end of that engine is in good enough shape to do heads. Low compression could be a valve problem or rings. Do a wet test if low and if stays the same, the valves are suspect. If compression comes up, the rings are the problem.
I've already decided to rebuild the engine. My plan is it buy en existing pull out 5.3 and rebuild it while I milk what I can out of the current one. Probably a stock rebuild with worked over heads, mild cam and if I cam long tube headers...I just need to work on cats due to emissions here. Good running 400hp 5.3 is enough for me. Hell 380hp or 350 would work.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look under the oil fill cap and see if shows a milky buildup and check oil dipstick for same. Doubt it is head gasket related but may be. The other possibilities are more likely. Did the thermostat get done yet and let us know what happens after that. Maybe you already did but have not back tracked thru thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon Gal