Head bolt length 04 5.3 flex z code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
Hoping somebody can answer this. I have a 04 5.3 flex z code and am bolting heads on, problem is I have three different sizes of head bolts. I should say length. Where do the mid long bolts go? I have two.
Bought from rock auto that lists them as fitting for flex motor. But read 2003 motors had three different lengths but changed in 2004 to all same length. What gives?

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
I see it’s first “ design” that has the mid length bolt and the 2 “design” has all the long bolts the same length. If first design fits where in the head do the two mid length bolts go?

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Well on further investigation they changed in 04 from different to same size bolts. Right down to the month. Found old head bolts they are all the same size. Three different supplier sites showed two different packages for the same motor.
Wow. Have to send back box and order new set. Problem solved.

Twithers

Reaction score
Well on further investigation they changed in 04 from different to same size bolts. Right down to the month. Found old head bolts they are all the same size. Three different supplier sites showed two different packages for the same motor.
Wow. Have to send back box and order new set. Problem solved.
Do you remember the cutoff between the engine with different size head bokts and the one with all the same size? I have an '04 and I don't know which ones I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667