2006 Tahoe Body Mount and Bolt Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lawrence Tureaud

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Different Body Bolt Sizes by Vehicle Year

Maybe 2006 was a weird year for Tahoe body mount bolts.

My Tahoe is a 2006 old body but has the same M14 bolts as the 2007-2020. However all the part websites direct me to the older M12 size bolts. 2006 Suburbans have M14 on part websites, but it shows 2006 Tahoe as M12.

If you are buying bolts online you need to measure the size currently on your Tahoe or you might get the wrong size.

GM Part - 11516868 - M12x1.75x110mm

GM Part - 11519402 - M12x1.75x120mm

GM Part - 11562587 - M14x2.00x126mm

GM Part - 11589171 - M14x2.00x120mm (discontinued and replaced by part 11562587 M14x2.0x126mm)

What is currently on my truck: M14x2.0x120mm so I would have to get the replacement 11562587 even though the parts websites say that isn’t for my 2006 Tahoe.

Here is a picture of the GM Part 11589171 that came on my 2006 Tahoe.

I’m showing 2 bolts here for reference but only 1 comes per part number.

2A21A006-091E-4A3A-9492-78614EFCDC6D.jpeg

OP
OP
Lawrence Tureaud

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t want this to come across as an ad for this company, but I’m posting their specific info mainly bc they are frustrating me and don’t express the difference in their products. This seems like the best body mount kit available for a Tahoe, but they said it doesn’t fit without any explanation, and I just can’t see why not.

Had a couple of request to tech support of S&B and got some answers but not all.

They couldn’t tell me why their body mount kits fit Silverado 1500 and Avalanche, but not a Tahoe. They did tell me the bolt sizes between their kits which explains why their kit years are separated but look exactly the same. (I was going to order both just to see for myself but it was a $90 return fee.)

The bolt sizes are different for their products based on the year of the vehicle.

Look at the install instructions to see the individual pieces.

S&B Body Mount Kits for years 2001 to 2005 GM/Chevy 1500/2500/3500 Std/Ext/Crew Cab (kit numbers 81-2000 & 81-2001)

-This has a part number Cab Bolt AI2365-00 which is an M12x1.75x120mm (GM part 11519402)

S&B Body Mount Kits for years 2006-2014 GM/Chevy 1500/2500/3500 Std/Ext/Crew Cab (kit numbers 81-2002 & 81-2003)

-This has a part number Cab Bolt AI2366-00 which is an M14x2.0x125mm (GM part 11562587)

I did purchase the S&B kit for GM/Chevy 2006-2014 and it will come in next week. I will see if there is a fitting issue and take pictures to let you know what comes of it.

Here are a picture of the parts for the separate kits. I put them side by side and highlighted the differences since it could be hard to spot at a glance. You can see the different part numbers and I added the GM part number to the picture for reference.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ys8gKH1

393E9BC9-1996-4A8E-B007-8320B3973DD8.png

OP
OP
Lawrence Tureaud

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you started the replacement procedure yet? Good work on finding this kit. I'm sure this thread will help out other people.

Yes I installed the 8 body mounts and everything seemed to fit exactly as it should. I replaced all of the mounts in the from the radiator back with the SB kit. Since the kit has 8 but truck has 12; the 4 rear (by spare tire and rear bumper) are still old the old mounts.

I didn’t have any issues with any kind of offset or something not going into place. The cups fit exactly into place where the previous stock mounts were located.

I do think the ride is better and feels smoother. (Maybe all in my head from thinking about it.) There has not been any pop/klunk.

There was only a slight change in ride height of less than a quarter inch. I measured different areas before and after with a measuring tape. Possibly because the silicone is soft like the original rubber and doesn’t stand hard like poly mounts would so not a drastic change.

I’ve contacted SB about getting 4 more for the rear and giving them info on the install. Hopefully they can come up with a kit that is for Tahoes.

I know it seems expensive at first for buying 12 body mounts, but the price would even out about $87 apiece, and it comes with all of the hardware and better than OEM components including the shim that should be installed to get rid of pop/klunk. These shouldn’t rot like rubber and shouldn’t be hard like poly. I think it was a good buy even though it does hurt the wallet.

D047C2EA-F0DB-4C7A-8007-251245DDA88E.jpeg 7D814AC2-EE4A-41C1-B1A4-4902F62874D0.jpeg 08A6AC95-E954-4DDC-BD01-7E11D1F3737E.jpeg CDFD911B-E302-41C6-AA9C-CD3B5D14D10B.jpeg 7885B86A-8A57-406B-AABB-699D63A6A037.jpeg

OP
OP
Lawrence Tureaud

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Extracting Body Mount Bolt.

I broke off a body mount bolt, but I was lucky that it broke off at the head instead of by the frame. So I had about 4 inches of bolt to work with. Since it is a M14 most of the stud removers were too small.

I bought a PowerBuilt Stud Remover 1/4”-3/4” from Amazon for like $16.

I put penetrating fluid on the bolt twice a day for a week. When I finally got down and used the tool I had to lift the frame relatively high to get the tool in place.

I hit with the torch a few times to warm it up and then got the tool on the bolt and slowly worked it out. It looked like none of the PB blaster made it up the threads despite continuous spray all week. The extractor ate into the bolt so hard I can’t get it off, but I don’t care; hopefully don’t have to use it again.

Anyways you can try this thing as an option if you get in that situation and have enough bolt to work with. worked for me.

E57D53D1-631C-437E-8475-79DCC2FCF965.jpeg 9905A9B1-37CA-439D-A34F-76E6C9373620.jpeg 23ED06FA-6763-4E06-80F6-EE0C8FE9D394.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Great job you did there. Thx for sharing all of your hard work, I know someone will benefit from all of your hard work. What initially made you want to swap everything out again? Was it because of your ride quality?

OP
OP
Lawrence Tureaud

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great job you did there. Thx for sharing all of your hard work, I know someone will benefit from all of your hard work. What initially made you want to swap everything out again? Was it because of your ride quality?

I changed my brake lines by lifting up the frame, so I had to remove the body mounts. They crumbled apart and I broke that bolt when I unscrewed them. When I started looking for replacement bolts and mount parts, I realized it wasn’t very easy since there wasn’t a lot of precise information and parts sites seem to vary on what’s available.

I was so frustrated trying to figure out these bolts and junk. I just hope all this stuff I posted at least gives someone a starting point or at least a reference.

OP
OP
Lawrence Tureaud

Lawrence Tureaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes I installed the 8 body mounts and everything seemed to fit exactly as it should.

Update on Ride Quality: S&B Body Mounts

After driving for a few weeks with the new body mounts installed I can say there is for sure a better ride quality. I now realize how much work the body mounts do.

Areas of my commute and places I routinely drive, I can tell a difference in how it feels. There are a ton of potholes here in MN and I’ve noticed it being a lot smoother.

I think those mounts make it feel like I’m riding on solid sticks of butter. Huge decrease in vibration from bumps.

Before install I accidentally went over a sunken manhole outside my office (I can usually avoid) and I thought my suspension exploded, I shook so hard I knew I broke something. But it was because I was missing that body mount and the rest were crusted pieces.

After I installed the mounts, I hit the manhole again (I can avoid if there’s a little space, but in busy traffic I can’t swerve around), I braced for impact like previous time, but nothing happened. It felt like a big bump. I was absolutely amazed at the difference.

I have old worn suspension, and these mounts have made such a difference that the truck rides better than it ever has. Unbelievable how much work these things are doing. I plan on repair/replacing my other suspension parts and can’t imagine how good the ride will feel when those things get set up.

Anyways I am not a sponsor for this product, they don’t give me a discount, or even know I’m putting reviews on this thread.
I just want people to know that I really think these mounts are worth the money. It is spendy, but everything is there, and makes a huge difference in ride.

I’ve been going round and round for months looking at bolts and body mounts, and I’m really satisfied that at the end of all that time I got a good thing installed on the truck that should last the rest of the life of the vehicle.

FYI: Make sure you torque the bolts to the correct amount. I installed the mounts but didn’t torque them all the way. They were tight, but not fully torqued. (I wanted to drive around first and let the vehicle settle. And I was tired.) So for about a week I was driving like that and I noticed squeaking and vibration. After torquing the bolts, it was a dramatic difference. That’s when I really noticed how well the mounts worked.

So even if you don’t have this kit and you notice creaking or a rough ride, maybe try checking your mounting bolt torque. And tighten your mounts and see if that helps.

RJM60

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't be much help on the bolts I didnt do anything but take them out and then right back in. Being the south I have no rust issues and like yours all where the same minus the rad bolts

As for the bushing kit you found for 06-14 looks like they'll work I dont see enough diifference for it not to work

But if you have any questions ill try my best to help
What were the PN for the body mount bushings you used?

I'm gathering parts for a rebuild of my 2004 Suburban 2500 LT . This will include replacing all the rubber isolators. I don't want to use polyurethane but if that's what you used the PN might help me.

Fof anyone else doing this, this is what I found online so far:

The online OEM part finders list 15837581 for the upper radiator support bushing and 15201791 for the lower bushing (rubber cup); however, the description says that for 4WD, 15837581 goes in positions 1, 3, 4, and 6. It also shows application up to 2014 Escalades. Of course this does not match the sketch which shows this goes only in position 1 (radiator support) and that 15201142 goes in the other 4 positions; but wait - there are 5 other positions (12 body mounts for suburban counting radiator support bushing). So, the picture must be wrong!

Enter Dorman 924-040. When you search for body mounts for this Suburban, the Dorman 924-040 and 924-138 come up. The 138 is unavailable (more on that later) excep for a few websites which sell it for way cheaper than the ones that list it as out of stock. These websites are probably bogus so don't buy it from them or you can kiss your money goodbye. For 924-040, some descriptions list it for positions 1 and 4 but this doesn't jive with the OEM websites - unless you assume Dorman does not count the radiator support as position 1. With that assumption, Dorman position 1 and 4 become OEM position 2 and 5, whicb works perfectly with the 15837581 OEM description saying it goes in positions 1,3,4,6.

But where to get 15837581? I found Dorman 924-133 on Rock Auto with it showing that the OEM PN for it are 15837581 and 15201142. So I bought some, along with some 924-040, which measure about 1/8 of an inch taller than 924-133.

So, now what? I would hate to be torn into my Suburban only to find that I have the wrong mounts. Also, the plan was to do this last in the rebuild sequence so I could install a body lift if needed to clear the 37's I plan to install.

Bottom line is I'm looking for definitive, current PN info on body mount bushings for my 4WD 2004 Suburban 2500 LT.

Thanks.