hard shift 1st to 2nd 1996 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOHAMMED AFANAH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hope somone knows the answer . hard shift from 1st to 2nd . only after driving the car for about 10 or 15 min . note that ive bought and installed 4L60E transmission rebuild kit . also bought a new valve body with new solenoids. and a new tps sensor and problem still exsists . i dont know where else to look now .

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this on another site on 4L60E:

A hard shift indicates that either the line pressure is too high or there is a problem in the 1-2 accumulator. Was a shift kit installed?

Line pressure that is too high is often caused by a sensor problem (MAF, TPS or MAP).
The proper way to diagnose this is to hook up a scanner and a pressure gauge to the trans. The scanner will tell what pressure is commanded and the gauge will confirm or refute it. A "ATD-5550" pressure gauge is only $32 on Amazon with prime shipping.

The only way to diagnose a 1-2 accumulator problem is to remove the pan, filter and then the dome-shaped accumulator cover which has only 3 screws. Take out the internals and post a picture of it. This will tell us if a shift kit was installed and we will look closely for cracks in the piston.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
similar issues when i had my 97 i dont know of your symptoms are intermittent or it does it all the time. after the 2nd tps as mine would occasionally also give me an actual tps fault if it did it enough. the third tps was an acdelco and i replaced the plug and the problem went away.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to diagnose a 1-2 accumulator problem is to remove the pan, filter and then the dome-shaped accumulator cover which has only 3 screws. Take out the internals and post a picture of it. This will tell us if a shift kit was installed and we will look closely for cracks in the piston.
That was the issue with my 98. It had a stupidly hard 1-2 shift at light throttle. One of the springs was broken. The 1-2 accumulator is easy to check once you drop the pan. Old springs on right, new ones on left…

D4B92D06-D716-4C25-9032-24F64420C27F.jpeg

OP
OP
MOHAMMED AFANAH

MOHAMMED AFANAH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found this on another site on 4L60E:

A hard shift indicates that either the line pressure is too high or there is a problem in the 1-2 accumulator. Was a shift kit installed?

Line pressure that is too high is often caused by a sensor problem (MAF, TPS or MAP).
The proper way to diagnose this is to hook up a scanner and a pressure gauge to the trans. The scanner will tell what pressure is commanded and the gauge will confirm or refute it. A "ATD-5550" pressure gauge is only $32 on Amazon with prime shipping.

thank you so much brother for this helpful information. what ive actually done is i went ahead and bought a sonnax valve body with all new and upgraded components just to make sure everything is new. also a transmission repair kit . after going to the mechanic who worked on it . he told me that the last thing i should replace now is the torque converter . so i went ahead and i bought one ( B&M torque master) i think it was 366$ now i am waiting for it to arrive and will install it. i wish that ive replaced the whole transmission instead of going back and forth.

OP
OP
MOHAMMED AFANAH

MOHAMMED AFANAH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
similar issues when i had my 97 i dont know of your symptoms are intermittent or it does it all the time. after the 2nd tps as mine would occasionally also give me an actual tps fault if it did it enough. the third tps was an acdelco and i replaced the plug and the problem went away.
mine happens after driving the car for about 10 to 15 min. and if i pull over and turn the engine off for a couple of min and drive it again . same thing happens after 10 to 15 min . ive ordered a new torque convertor and also a transmission cooler .

OP
OP
MOHAMMED AFANAH

MOHAMMED AFANAH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
waiting for the new torque convertor to come in by mail. ill install it and see if that fixes the issue. it should be here within 10 to 13 days. ill let you know if that fixes the issue. also now im not getting that hard shift kick from 1st to 2nd gear. now its a a delay in the shift from 1 to 2 .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter