Had to rebuild engine 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief7826

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I leased a 2021 Yukon SLT 5.3. At 7300 miles, they had to rebuild my engine. Replacing pistons 1 & 8, and all of the valves. GM is still using these defective engines across the company.

The only good thing is it was covered by warranty! It took two weeks of being cooped up in a small loner SUV. Some of us buy this size of SUV because it fits us in usable space in the seat!

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I love my 2002 Tahoe and don't believe I will ever move on to the newer models. Of course, being old might be an influencing factor.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
American manufacturers build a good product but suppliers are suspect which leads to these types of issues. Imports have much better suppliers and hold them to a higher standard so you do not hear about it as often.

Remember that air bag recall ? Across multiple brands? Supplier issue.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your point is ? this sounds like a venting post, did the dealer or GM leave you stranded ? sounds like they fixed it.

They build 195000 units like these a year. for sure there’s to be a few bumps along the way.

Cars are pretty complicated these days.

juicysmollet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I leased a 2021 Yukon SLT 5.3. At 7300 miles, they had to rebuild my engine. Replacing pistons 1 & 8, and all of the valves. GM is still using these defective engines across the company.

The only good thing is it was covered by warranty! It took two weeks of being cooped up in a small loner SUV. Some of us buy this size of SUV because it fits us in usable space in the seat!

Lifter failure here on my 2021 SLT 5.3 at 36K miles...took almost 2 weeks as well. I was shocked at a lifter failure. Had a 2017 5.3 that was great, only had the AC issue on that one.

At least they gave you a car...they literally didn't give me anything. Had to figure that one out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65