2011 Yukon XL 5.3 L need new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gh257

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 Yukon XL 5.3 L Needs new engine. In Alberta, Canada. Priced out newer units and changing engine and then transmission later makes economical sense. Some rust on roof and rear quarter panels. We have put a lot of work into the truck over the years, most of the front end is new.

A couple questions-

1- I am looking for US suppliers that would ship to me. Any suggestions? Would want warranty for Labour and materials, installed by a mechanic locally. Already have a quote from a Canadian supplier.

2- is there any way to upgrade the engine and transmission combo to a 8 or 10 speed? I assume it would need a new computer? If yes how difficult and cost?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only give you my 2 cents on going with a newer engine or tranny. it can 100% done. they are currently putting supercharged LT4 with a 10 speed in older Gen like the obs 90s gens. getting it running with the proper ecm isn't the hard part, it's making it seemless and work with everything else in the truck and give stock reliability that's hard, on top of that if you're looking for a shop to do it for you, it's going to be very expensive, and probably be tied up for a year. the number of horror stories that come out of shops that specialize in performance swaps are crazy. it's gotta be a hobby and since it's not really your hobby, you gotta have the money to fund someone else's hobby on their time in hopes you get to drive fast one day.

the easiest and most cost effective way without doing all the work yourself will always be go back to 100% stock.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there any way to upgrade the engine and transmission combo to a 8L90 or 10L90?
I assume it would need a new computer? If yes how difficult and cost?
The amount of info research, energy, materials, TIME, and MONEY required to accomplish this RELIABLY would likely be enough to buy another '11 Suburban / XL / ESV in good condition in far less time.

A far better bang for your buck would be to upgrade to 3.42 or 3.73 axles and get your ecm & tcm tuned.
Besides bang for the buck, it would get done much sooner - like days or weeks.

It'd take many months if not YEARS to successfully transplant an 8L90 or 10L90 into a 2011 vehicle whose entire electronic schema would need to be retrofitted to work with 2015 computerization, if only because your engine would also need to run a 2015 ecm to talk to the other 2015 stuff on the 'bus'.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The 10SP trans would be great but we’re not there yet for swap experience. Jasper makes a US 50 State legal 6.2L without AFM.

I would upgrade to the 403 hp Non AFM motor as you already have the same 6L80 trans as the 6.2L Denali. Jasper can tell you how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan