Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Roadmaster had better engine mounts than the water balloons we have? :rofl:

Maybe it's a torquing thing- higher power and a heavier vehicle? Also, doesn't the Roadmaster have dual exhaust?
Better engine mounts... probably.

Higher power; no. For one, a 94-96 Roadmaster wagon has the same amount of torque as a 2007-2014 Tahoe. The Tahoe has a few more HP in stock form, but there are some brutally fast wagons out there, and flex pipes have always been considered a "ghetto" or "temporary" repair on those cars.

Heavier, yes, although obviously this would depend on the usage of the vehicle as far as passengers, towing, etc. Remember the Roadmaster has 8 seats, including the 2 rear-facing seats in the tailgate area. Your kids will see it coming when you get rear-ended, but you won't. It also tows 7k lbs from the factory.

Dual exhaust... Bingo. After thinking about it, it's because we have a big Y-pipe. So, when the engine shifts back and forth, left and right, you have this solid Y-pipe transferring all of that torque to one pipe. With a true dual exhaust setup like the B-body has, you greatly reduce that stress by allowing each side to move independently.

I will leave mine for now, since it doesn't leak (yet).

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better engine mounts... probably.

Higher power; no. For one, a 94-96 Roadmaster wagon has the same amount of torque as a 2007-2014 Tahoe. The Tahoe has a few more HP in stock form, but there are some brutally fast wagons out there, and flex pipes have always been considered a "ghetto" or "temporary" repair on those cars.

Heavier, yes, although obviously this would depend on the usage of the vehicle as far as passengers, towing, etc. Remember the Roadmaster has 8 seats, including the 2 rear-facing seats in the tailgate area. Your kids will see it coming when you get rear-ended, but you won't. It also tows 7k lbs from the factory.

Dual exhaust... Bingo. After thinking about it, it's because we have a big Y-pipe. So, when the engine shifts back and forth, left and right, you have this solid Y-pipe transferring all of that torque to one pipe. With a true dual exhaust setup like the B-body has, you greatly reduce that stress by allowing each side to move independently.

I will leave mine for now, since it doesn't leak (yet).

I had no idea the Roadmaster was so heavy or even had similar enough torque as the Tahoe. I imagined the Tahoe was heavier and had more torque and was capable of towing a lot more. This, coupled with squishy mounts, would allow the engine to twist a lot more, especially when towing. Anyway, that's pretty cool about the Roadmaster's strength.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had no idea the Roadmaster was so heavy or even had similar enough torque as the Tahoe. I imagined the Tahoe was heavier and had more torque and was capable of towing a lot more. This, coupled with squishy mounts, would allow the engine to twist a lot more, especially when towing. Anyway, that's pretty cool about the Roadmaster's strength.
Undercover family hotrod.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A B-body wagon weighs about 4500 lbs and has a fully boxed frame. They all got the LT1 from the F/Y-bodies, with 260 horse and 330-335 torque.

The sedans weigh about 4200, with the exception of the Fleetwood, which has an extended wheelbase and weighs closer to the wagon's 4500.

They were the last muscle cars that GM ever built (unibody = no muscle car). The chassis was virtually unchanged from 1977-1996, and really it dates back to the mid-70s Monte Carlo platform and the A-body platform before that.

Undercover family hot rods for sure.

Interestingly, those heavy whales are actually lighter than modern cars. Look up a Charger or CTS-V or something, and you will be shocked. All the electronics and safety crap adds up quick. The Charger even has a longer wheelbase.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A B-body wagon weighs about 4500 lbs and has a fully boxed frame. They all got the LT1 from the F/Y-bodies, with 260 horse and 330-335 torque.

The sedans weigh about 4200, with the exception of the Fleetwood, which has an extended wheelbase and weighs closer to the wagon's 4500.

They were the last muscle cars that GM ever built (unibody = no muscle car). The chassis was virtually unchanged from 1977-1996, and really it dates back to the mid-70s Monte Carlo platform and the A-body platform before that.

Undercover family hot rods for sure.

Interestingly, those heavy whales are actually lighter than modern cars. Look up a Charger or CTS-V or something, and you will be shocked. All the electronics and safety crap adds up quick. The Charger even has a longer wheelbase.

That's not even that bad on weight. They probably just feel heavy from the comfy suspension. I love the sleeper aspect.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the wagons had air suspension in the back for towing, and never came with a rear sway bar, strangely.

Drive a police package Caprice or the almighty Impala SS, and you will "get it" as far as those cars are concerned.

While I'm at it: That platform is heaven for an LS swap. They used the 4L60E, so it's just a matter of changing the motor mounts and the wiring harness. The engine bay is huge, so feel free to stuff abuncha turbos in there.

I'll try to not keep carrying on about this... :)

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the wagons had air suspension in the back for towing, and never came with a rear sway bar, strangely.

Drive a police package Caprice or the almighty Impala SS, and you will "get it" as far as those cars are concerned.

While I'm at it: That platform is heaven for an LS swap. They used the 4L60E, so it's just a matter of changing the motor mounts and the wiring harness. The engine bay is huge, so feel free to stuff abuncha turbos in there.

I'll try to not keep carrying on about this... :)

I've already pictured a "ŵoody" wagon, kept original-looking, mild drop, widened stock rear wheels, performance suspension, steering and brakes and a turbo'ed LS under the hood.

Last edited:

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already pictured a "ŵoody" wagon, kept original-looking, mild drop, widened stock rear wheels, performance suspension, steering, and brakes and a turbo'ed LS under the hood.
Oh... Kinda like mine? Excuse the stance, I was running (free) front tires that were actually a full inch taller than the 275s in the rear.

IMAG0402.jpg

And then at the end of the day, mine does something that the Impalas can't do:

IMAG0439.jpg

One of my local friends has a Duramax and 6L90E in his Roadmaster wagon.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Oh... Kinda like mine? Excuse the stance, I was running (free) front tires that were actually a full inch taller than the 275s in the rear.

View attachment 390775

View attachment 390776

Cool AF! Do you have optispark issues with it? I've read it's a common issue with the LT1 motors. I've always liked the look of the SS rims on the wagons.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 390775

View attachment 390776

I used to want one of those. Black with woodgrain. Cool cars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC