Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT800 used actual sensors as did the early K2s, the 900s use virtual system.

I don't think your truck was finished computing it's alcohol content. It can sometimes take days even. If there are no vacuum leaks and the trims are off, it's usually because the alcohol content is off. Ever watch the trims right after you fill up? I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw them! LOL

What mower is that? Mine looks similar but has much wider tires.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't think your truck was finished computing it's alcohol content. It can sometimes take days even. If there are no vacuum leaks and the trims are off, it's usually because the alcohol content is off. Ever watch the trims right after you fill up? I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw them! LOL

Yet again, another ray of hope. The Tahoe has been on the lift for almost a week now with the battery disconnected. It has a full tank of 93, E0 or E10. I'll have to sample it cuz I never remember to stop at that station and see. I don't recall seeing any "This gasoline contains up to 10% Ethanol..." stickers on the pumps and their prices were the same as the station across the street that sells non-Ethanol. I'm hoping that, between the extended power loss and minimal Ethanol, I can start fresh with the trims and alcohol content calculations.

The mower is nothing special- a basic John Deere D100. My brother gave it to me since he now has a smaller yard so no real use for it. It's in great shape and not long ago, he put a new motor, starter and battery on it. The mower has low hours so the original engine must've been defective or he ran it with low oil. The new motor has always "smoked intermittently" and he bumped a tree, breaking the hood hinge. It also needs new deck rollers and a bracket straightened and reinforced. He told me to fix the oil burning (if reasonable), the rollers and hood hinge and sell it and put the cash on his tab for next time he needs mechanical work. I'm fabricating a metal hinge and a tube bumper. I found that the intermittent oil burning is just a botched valve cover gasket job from the factory. It'd leak onto the muffler when parked for the week then start to burn off after a few minutes of mowing. Then, it'd just burn the little that was leaking while running. To him, it seemed to come and go. I also bypassed the mow-in-reverse button cuz those things are just annoying. I found that my stepdad really needed a better mower so it's gonna go to him when it's finished as a late birthday gift. I sold the lightly-used $400 bagger attachment (stepdad won't need it) for $250 which more than covers the parts and labor it needs. I'm hoping I can get my stepdad's current mower in trade to strip down to use as a basic yard tractor.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

The last bit of the 800s had virtual, as well. My 06 is virtual, and iirc I found out that it started earlier, maybe 04?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I had to change up my exhaust plans a little. Had to put the smaller muffler first since it had an offset, had to make an offset from two 45s, a small curve, shorten the cutout, dump the unmuffled circuit rather than route it back into the pipe exiting the rear, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other surprises I'm forgetting. I had what I thought was most of it finished last weekend, but I was barely half way there. Had a long work week that I finished with getting home at 11:30 Friday night. I slept in yesterday and by the time I had breakfast and coffee, it was after 12 when I got started in the shop. I finally came in to shower around 5 this morning. I'll post pics later, but it's "done for now". I'm not satisfied with the sound nor volume. I thought for sure going from 18" of muffler to 40" would've made more of a difference. Yes, it's MUCH improved and will be fine for talking while cruising. But, it's still too loud when on the throttle and I don't care for the sound. It has a hollow can sound which is surprising to me since both mufflers are a packed-around-a-perforated core design. I thought it'd be a deep roar like it was when I had cats. At least it sounds more like it's exiting from the rear.

I still need to wire up the cutout and mount the switch.

I may install my stock resonator, but I really don't think that would do much.

I believe I found a simple way to route a pipe to the driver's side for a dual exit setup while keeping the spare and air compressor. I'll have to investigate this further sometime.

I'm not so crazy about the exhaust tip. It just didn't end up looking as good as I thought it would. I believe it's just the positioning of it.

I'd like to tie the cutout into the rear exit as I had previously planned. I didn't this time since I didn't have the stuff to make the over-axle arch. I just reused the stock one. With the cutout, a much larger pipe is needed. But, since I'm lowered (and going lower) there's barely enough space for the factory 2.75" axle arch pipe. Oval pipe is my answer.

I guess I should look into other mufflers.

That's all for now. The sun's coming up and I'm dozing off. Gotta be up in a few hours to cut the grass, clean the shop, go help the old man down the road with some odd jobs, clean the pool and I'm sure there are a few more obligations to be handled tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I had to change up my exhaust plans a little. Had to put the smaller muffler first since it had an offset, had to make an offset from two 45s, a small curve, shorten the cutout, dump the unmuffled circuit rather than route it back into the pipe exiting the rear, and I'm sure there are a bunch of other surprises I'm forgetting. I had what I thought was most of it finished last weekend, but I was barely half way there. Had a long work week that I finished with getting home at 11:30 Friday night. I slept in yesterday and by the time I had breakfast and coffee, it was after 12 when I got started in the shop. I finally came in to shower around 5 this morning. I'll post pics later, but it's "done for now". I'm not satisfied with the sound nor volume. I thought for sure going from 18" of muffler to 40" would've made more of a difference. Yes, it's MUCH improved and will be fine for talking while cruising. But, it's still too loud when on the throttle and I don't care for the sound. It has a hollow can sound which is surprising to me since both mufflers are a packed-around-a-perforated core design. I thought it'd be a deep roar like it was when I had cats. At least it sounds more like it's exiting from the rear.

I still need to wire up the cutout and mount the switch.

I may install my stock resonator, but I really don't think that would do much.

I believe I found a simple way to route a pipe to the driver's side for a dual exit setup while keeping the spare and air compressor. I'll have to investigate this further sometime.

I'm not so crazy about the exhaust tip. It just didn't end up looking as good as I thought it would. I believe it's just the positioning of it.

I'd like to tie the cutout into the rear exit as I had previously planned. I didn't this time since I didn't have the stuff to make the over-axle arch. I just reused the stock one. With the cutout, a much larger pipe is needed. But, since I'm lowered (and going lower) there's barely enough space for the factory 2.75" axle arch pipe. Oval pipe is my answer.

I guess I should look into other mufflers.

That's all for now. The sun's coming up and I'm dozing off. Gotta be up in a few hours to cut the grass, clean the shop, go help the old man down the road with some odd jobs, clean the pool and I'm sure there are a few more obligations to be handled tomorrow.
Damn. All that work and it’s still not the way you want it. That sucks man. But... no pics..? No videos..? [emoji3525]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhefner

Latest posts