Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally made time to give 'er some love this past Sunday.

It's been about 10 months and a hair under 5,000 miles, so I drained the oil and took a sample mid-drain to send to Blackstone:

IMG_5862.JPG

Drained the catch can. I got what I'm estimating to be about 2.5 ounces. Before the engine work, I drained pretty much exactly 3 ounces every time. This past 5K miles have been the hardest miles I've ever put on it- lots of WOT, sustained 3-4K RPM from holding it in lower gears, lots of winding to redline (6,000 RPM), etc.:

IMG_5876.JPG

Also, I didn't have to add any make-up oil during this 5K interval. It was a little less than 1/2 quart low. Before, I think I added about 3/4 quart between changes. Between this and the catch can drain, I'm pleasantly surprised.

The Denso radiator I installed a few months ago had the built-in engine oil cooler, so I bought the OE oil cooler line set. I don't think I need an EOC, but the rad had the thicker core I wanted. Between the rad and EOC line set, the rad was still about the same price (or cheaper?) than the non-EOC OE rad. I installed the line set while I had the oil drained:

IMG_5874.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil pan is Helicoiled and the plug has been replaced. Apparently, the stock plug should have a magnet. I wanted a magnetic one, but I didn't know if the thread was the stock size or if it had been changed. So, I decided I'd just make my existing plug magnetic, but extra. Got these two neodymium (N45 for you nerds) rod magnets, 1/4" D x 1.5" L off ebay. I was gonna use one magnet, but they were sold as a pair and the other one stuck to it so well that I saw no reason to not use it:

IMG_5857.JPG

This is how far they'll reach into the pan, minus however much I set one into the plug:

IMG_5860.JPG

Before I pressed a magnet into the plug, I stuck them to the tip and inserted them into the oil pan and moved them around a few times to grab as much metal sludge as possible. This may be an unnerving sight to some people. But, considering this is the first full-term oil change since having the engine apart and installing all those new parts almost a year ago, I'm not the least bit concerned... yet:

IMG_5864.JPG

Used the drill press to drill a 1/4" hole about 1/2" deep down the center of the plug. Not bad for eyeballing center:

IMG_5868.JPG

I thought I was gonna have to epoxy the magnet in place, but it was a firm press-fit, so it's not going anywhere. I ended up with right at a 65mm (2.56") strong magnetic tip:

IMG_5871.JPG

I held one magnet and slung it a few good times, trying to fling the other one off. Best I could do was make it flip around and stick parallel to the other. So I don't see that "unsecured" one going anywhere. It'll be about a year before we find out what it catches. By then, I'll probably forget it has magnets and be surprised when I pull it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, finally, I finished the Big 3 Upgrade since my battery terminals were delivered:

IMG_5880.JPG

Cut the factory battery terminals off the factory ground wires and soldered, crimped and heat-shrinked lugs to them:

IMG_5879.JPG

Copied the factory positive cables with the 1/0:

IMG_5881.JPG

Also made one for the starter:

IMG_5883.JPG

Done. Yes, I could've use elbow lugs for the ones going at an angle, but it doesn't bother me enough to buy $15 specialty lugs.

IMG_5886.JPG

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, finally, I finished the Big 3 Upgrade since my battery terminals were delivered:

View attachment 278420

Cut the factory battery terminals off the factory ground wires and soldered, crimped and heat-shrinked lugs to them:

View attachment 278419

View attachment 278421

View attachment 278422

Done. Yes, I could've use elbow lugs for the ones going at an angle, but it doesn't bother me enough to buy $15 specialty lugs.

View attachment 278423
Damn! Very nice! Excellent work! Need to do this...

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh- I changed my oil formulation up this time. I used 3 quarts of 15w-40 and 3 of 5w-40 for an average of 10w-40. All Rotella T6. As expected and desired, my oil pressure is about 5 psi lower. When warm, it doesn't reach 80 psi at 6,000 RPM any more. It looks to be around 75 max. At hot idle, it's about 32 psi, hits 40 right around 1,500 RPM and stays around 42-45 at cruising speeds/RPMs.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome work as always! You never fail to impress me with your abilities to make solutions at home. That magnet is a nice touch! Big 3 is very clean too.

I wouldn't worry about the metals. Hell, my yukon always has some on the plug (after I installed the magnetic one). I need to test the drain plug threads and pick one up for the avalanche.

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 278420

View attachment 278419

View attachment 278421

View attachment 278422

View attachment 278423

Chris,

did you wrap them electrical wires or did you buy em that way? Nice touch, before I drop the engine in I need to do this. Pls hook me up with the lug part numbers, etc., so I can get a move on when I get back stateside?
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz