Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the counterfeit parts being sold online, I had to compare the new lifters to the originals. Either these are an impeccable clone or they're genuine. The new ones mic'ed .001" larger diameter, so I'd say it's just that the originals are worn down .0005", given their age:

IMG_1002.JPG

Took an old lifter apart and removed these parts:

IMG_1005.JPG

...and reinstalled the internal plunger inverted to make a solid lifter for measuring the pushrod length. I marked it with red duct tape since it's now a tool:

IMG_1004.JPG

Installing the Sac City billet barbell:
IMG_1009.JPG

Screwed a 1/4"-20 bolt into it as a temporary handle, lubed it up and slid it in while turning it to ensure the O-ring went in smoothly without binding:
IMG_1010.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was interesting. I guess the oil galleys that feed the lifters are drilled from the front and back and meet up in the middle instead of being drilled all the way through from one end. Something was a little off when they drilled the left side galley as they don't exactly match up. This created a crescent-shaped reveal midway in the galley. This is the LH galley as viewed from the front:

IMG_1008.JPG

...And as viewed from the rear:
IMG_1016.PNG

The RH galley is aligned:

IMG_1007.JPG

New rear main seal, installed with RTV:

IMG_1011.JPG

Slid in the cam with lots of assembly lube:

IMG_1013.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of counterfeit parts or just not getting what you think you ordered, I compared the supposed LS2 HD chain to the original. It looks and even measured out to be the exact same. Either the LMGs got what we call the "LS2 HD" chain or they just sent me a standard replacement. I hope it's at least a quality part:

IMG_1014.JPG

Timing set installed with Loctite on the bolt threads and ARP lube under the heads. I may be crazy for reusing the original timing chain tensioner, but I like it better than the LS2 dampener since it keeps constant pressure on the chain. I figure if these things are going for 300K+ miles on the original equipment, then I should be good for a long time. I would've liked to use a new one, but I had to get this thing assembled. I feel okay with it. After shimming and torquing down the oil pump, I packed the rotors with assembly lube and installed the cover. Also lubed the timing chain before installing the front cover with it's new crank seal:

IMG_1015.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this protractor intended for measuring a physical therapy patient's range of motion. It fits perfectly in the center of the crank pulley so I use it to make my torquing marks:

IMG_1019.JPG

Used the old bolt to press the new pulley on and tightened it to 240 ft. lbs. Then I measured to make sure it was pressed on within range:

IMG_1020.JPG

Installed the new bolt, torqued to 37 ft. lbs. and marked the bolt at my "0" mark:

IMG_1022.JPG

Used a breaker bar to turn it the final 140°:

IMG_1023.JPG

As I left it last night:

IMG_1024.JPG

I'm pretty much at a standstill with it until I get the heads and gaskets. I may dive into the trans today to install that Corvette servo and longer pin. Or maybe I'll not get dirty and swap out the radio interface adapter/harness. I don't know yet. Need breakfast and coffee first.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing exciting to update. Torque converter is still at least a couple weeks out, head gaskets are expected to ship in about a week and my heads should be done in a week or so. I can't drop the motor back in until I have the converter, so I'll do my measuring and clearance-checking on the stand and order the pushrods accordingly. Once I get the heads, I'll reuse an old head gasket and head bolts to check the pushrod length and quench height, then just subtract .015" for the thinner gasket I'll be using.

There's nothing I can do about it now, but I wanted to compare a pic of an LS2 chain to what I have. On top is what someone posted of their chain next to the LS2 chain. Below that is my stock chain and supposed LS2 chain.

JKIY0753.JPG

I still don't know for sure what I have, but it's no smaller than my original so I'm comfortable with that.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Circle D overestimated my shipping date so that I'd expect the worst, but it worked cuz it made my day to find the converter was delivered today, a week earlier than expected.

The brown man left a big D at my back door:

IMG_1067.JPG

Made the trip safe and sound:

IMG_1069.JPG

New bolts, washers (and/or spacers?), blue Loctite and some nice SWAG:

IMG_1068.JPG

Premium stuff like this gives me a really good impression of this company.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_1139.JPG

Four gallons of full synthetic Dexron VI ATF and two upstream Denso oxygen sensors delivered today. On the way home, I ordered and picked up the Dorman heater hose assembly for its aluminum "Y" and two adapters to connect the stock transmission cooler lines to the external cooler that's en route.

I also ordered some other parts that would be really cool unless they don't work as planned for some unforeseen reason. I'll hold off on the details for now.

Still need to order the upper and lower rad hoses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy

Latest posts