Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timeslips like that tell me that the motor is plenty healthy! If your race weight was 5,900 pounds, she was putting down 325 rear wheel horsepower!

@badandyturbo

I believe it's plenty healthy, but no way is it 325 at the wheels ...yet!

I thought it was rated at/around 325 at the crank. I've always calculated an 18% loss through the 4L60/65, which should be 266 at the wheels. My data shows the curb weight to be 5,234. I'm 190lbs and I had about 10 gallons (of 89 octane) in the tank, so I'll call that 60lbs. No third row seats so I'll subtract 100lbs, bringing my race weight to 5,384.

5,384 and 15.656 calculates to 277.3 at the wheels.

Calculating HP from MPH and weight comes to 293.

The average of 293 and 277 is 285. So, 5,384lbs moved by 285 horses comes to an E.T. of 15.51 @ 87.2.

Buuuuut... I think GM rates their engines with all the accessories installed and loaded, so that skews it further.

So, now that I know it's plenty healthy, I'm gonna pull it out and tear it to pieces. lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's plenty healthy, but no way is it 325 at the wheels ...yet!

I thought it was rated at/around 325 at the crank. I've always calculated an 18% loss through the 4L60/65, which should be 266 at the wheels. My data shows the curb weight to be 5,234. I'm 190lbs and I had about 10 gallons (of 89 octane) in the tank, so I'll call that 60lbs. No third row seats so I'll subtract 100lbs, bringing my race weight to 5,384.

5,384 and 15.656 calculates to 277.3 at the wheels.

Calculating HP from MPH and weight comes to 293.

The average of 293 and 277 is 285. So, 5,384lbs moved by 285 horses comes to an E.T. of 15.51 @ 87.2.

Buuuuut... I think GM rates their engines with all the accessories installed and loaded, so that skews it further.

So, now that I know it's plenty healthy, I'm gonna pull it out and tear it to pieces. lol

Ok, I'm within a horse. Did you come up with the curb weight by subtracting the cargo weight from the GVWR?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a few hours to work on it today. First, I did some quick testing on the Air lift bags. I measured the amount of lift at certain air pressures, from floor to fender-

0psi: 33 3/8"

5psi: 33 1/2"

35psi: 34 1/4"

I tested both bags at the same time since one side would affect the other approximately 50% (tested and confirmed this). My Tahoe sits level, within 1/16" left-to-right so these measurements apply to both sides (also tested and confirmed).

Then I moved on to motor stuff-

I unbolted the torque converter from the flexplate to see if the odd heavy vibe I felt at a very narrow RPM range would change any. It didn't, so I'm gonna assume/hope it's an issue with the crank pulley/balancer and replace it when I reassemble the motor.

How I turn those bolts:

IMG_0740.JPG

...And hold the crank:

IMG_0741.JPG

I removed the spark plugs while the motor was still hot in attempt to run a compression test. By the time I got the wires off and spark plugs out, the motor had cooled considerably. I decided I'd just test it cold on the stand once I had it out and moved on to other things.

Didn't break the tube! This rarely happens:

IMG_0751.JPG

So far, I have the hood off, exhaust manifolds unbolted and air intake removed:

IMG_0761.JPG

I really hope I don't have any late days with work. I wanna get the heads off to get them to the machine shop ASAP.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Had a few hours to work on it today. First, I did some quick testing on the Air lift bags. I measured the amount of lift at certain air pressures, from floor to fender-

0psi: 33 3/8"

5psi: 33 1/2"

35psi: 34 1/4"

I tested both bags at the same time since one side would affect the other approximately 50% (tested and confirmed this). My Tahoe sits level, within 1/16" left-to-right so these measurements apply to both sides (also tested and confirmed).

Then I moved on to motor stuff-

I unbolted the torque converter from the flexplate to see if the odd heavy vibe I felt at a very narrow RPM range would change any. It didn't, so I'm gonna assume/hope it's an issue with the crank pulley/balancer and replace it when I reassemble the motor.

How I turn those bolts:

View attachment 242033

...And hold the crank:

View attachment 242034

I removed the spark plugs while the motor was still hot in attempt to run a compression test. By the time I got the wires off and spark plugs out, the motor had cooled considerably. I decided I'd just test it cold on the stand once I had it out and moved on to other things.

Didn't break the tube! This rarely happens:

View attachment 242035

So far, I have the hood off, exhaust manifolds unbolted and air intake removed:

View attachment 242036

I really hope I don't have any late days with work. I wanna get the heads off to get them to the machine shop ASAP.
How were your exhaust manifold bolts? None were broken?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were your exhaust manifold bolts? None were broken?

Nope. I've never had any broken ones, but I was expecting to break some when trying to back them out. All came right out with the Central Pneumatic 1/2" air ratchet. I might have had to crack a few loose with it before squeezing the trigger, but it was all one hand stuff.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of last night:

Battery disconnected
Oil and coolant drained
Belts removed
Fans removed
Harness completely unplugged
Intake manifold removed
Water pump removed
Alternator removed
Accessory bracket and power steering pump unbolted and moved to side
Starter removed

It'll be ready to come out after the A/C compressor/bracket, mounts and bellhousing are unbolted. I'm gonna see if I can get the top four bellhousing bolts with the heads in place and not through the bottom with all the ratchet extension acrobatics. If it takes too long, I'm pulling the heads. Tonight's goal is to have it on the stand and maybe running the compression test.

IMG_0805.JPG