Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s great to hear! I’m hoping to get this thing to feel a little closer to my Yukon. After getting out of it and in the avalanche, I feel like I’m driving my s10. So slooow.

question...what’s your thoughts on the cam I already bought in a 6.2? Will it do better or worse than in the 5.3? I haven’t fully committed to the 6.2, even though it’s a deal I’m struggling to pass up. I would like to keep the “stock” idle. I don’t know if cubic inches help or hinder that cam. I haven’t seen any videos with that one in a larger engine. 99% are 5.3

I’m pumped and happy for you that you got it back on the road. It sounds like a beast now

Bottom line is "cubes eat duration". So, you'll get less of a gain out of that cam in a 6.2 as you would in a 5.3. Sure, it'll be more than stock, but not as effective. On the flip side, you're already starting out with something like 80HP/60TQ more with the 6.2, so I'd go that route, cammed or not. You haven't seen any videos for that cam in a 6.2 because it was designed for the 5.3. I'm sure there's a 6.2 version of it and I'd bet the cam makers took that 5.3 cam and increased the duration around 17% as their starting point to design a 6.2 cam. My cam's chop could've been almost 100% smoothed out with the tune, but I wanted the opposite.

I’m pumped and happy for you that you got it back on the road. It sounds like a beast now

Thank you! I'm just glad be mobile again. I'm looking for reasons to drive now. This afternoon, I was happy to find that my mower needed gas and both of my jugs were empty so I had to run up to the gas station. It's still just a 5.3 with the lowly 4L60E, but I'll never have an AFM failure and it sounds really cool now. lol

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Bottom line is "cubes eat duration". So, you'll get less of a gain out of that cam in a 6.2 as you would in a 5.3. Sure, it'll be more than stock, but not as effective. On the flip side, you're already starting out with something like 80HP/60TQ more with the 6.2, so I'd go that route, cammed or not. You haven't seen any videos for that cam in a 6.2 because it was designed for the 5.3. I'm sure there's a 6.2 version of it and I'd bet the cam makers took that 5.3 cam and increased the duration around 17% as their starting point to design a 6.2 cam. My cam's chop could've been almost 100% smoothed out with the tune, but I wanted the opposite.

Thank you! I'm just glad be mobile again. I'm looking for reasons to drive now. This afternoon, I was happy to find that my mower needed gas and both of my jugs were empty so I had to run up to the gas station. It's still just a 5.3 with the lowly 4L60E, but I'll never have an AFM failure and it sounds really cool now. lol
Gotta have that chop :Sumo:

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris ~ What size tires are you running during the tuning readouts

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work and it’s sounds ******* good Chris, real good. That truck is clean underneath... god i hate NY.... my truck is 5 years younger but looks 20 years older than yours underneath...

nice job bud

Thanks, bro

Yeah, rust is why I could NEVER live in a salty area. I never even have to spray anything with oil before removing a bolt or nut. I'm spoiled!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019