Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris ~ What size tires are you running during the tuning readouts

285/45-22. The tuner asked about that when he was first starting. They're only .2"/.6% difference from the stock size. I think he said he could adjust in .5% increments. I did choose him because of his **** reputation, though.

Him bringing it up and now you has me curious if there's something I'm missing. Am I?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/45-22. The tuner asked about that when he was first starting. They're only .2"/.6% difference from the stock size. I think he said he could adjust in .5% increments. I did choose him because of his **** reputation, though.

Him bringing it up and now you has me curious if there's something I'm missing. Am I?
Thanks for the response...You're not missing anything lol. I tend to overthink everything - I was mainly focusing on your speed and rpm's details. Sounds like your tuner knows what he's doing though. Waiting to see some pics of your ride all back together with the new grill installed ~ sounding good too!

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response...You're not missing anything lol. I tend to overthink everything - I was mainly focusing on your speed and rpm's details. Sounds like your tuner knows what he's doing though. Waiting to see some pics of your ride all back together with the new grill installed ~ sounding good too!

Thank ya!

Overthinker here as well. But now I wanna check the speedometer against a GPS or another car. On my way home, I thought everyone was going a little faster than usual. But, I'm used to my work van that forces me to stay around the speed limit so EVERYONE else is always going faster, anyway.

The tuner's been in the game for a long time and has a strong reputation and huge clientele. I'm pretty skeptical of people so I had a laundry list on my phone of items to discuss with him as he was working. He asked about the tire size and rear gear ratio and said the program (HP Tuners) showed a 30" tire for my Tahoe.

I wanna pop that grille in so badly but I still gotta install the trans cooler, which means I'll be pulling off the whole front cover. Don't want it to get messed up.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to ask. Hows the converter feel?

It's definitely noticeable. It felt too loose before the tune. After the tune, it's almost like stock when accelerating normally. I got used to it pretty quickly. You have to get it out of your head that your trans is slipping and just roll with it. It reminds me of my girlfriend's car which has a CVT.

It also softens the shifts. So, even though they've been firmed up a hair in the tuning, they feel the same. During the first drive, pre-tune, I wanted to make sure it wasn't actually slipping as it had felt. I have two really dark marks and a pile of rubber dust in front of my shop, indicating that it wasn't slipping. It seems matched perfectly for the cam. Proper tuning is paramount!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan