Got My Tires! - Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 285/60R20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JR09country

Reaction score
Auto 4WD is no different than any vehicle with permanent full time all wheel drive. I can't see that being the cause of unusual tire wear.
I won't say it works as well as a full time awd car. I still experience some binding during sharp turns when using auto 4wd that I never experienced in our GX460. Under normal usage someone probably won't experience outter tire wear, but my wife thinks she is Mario Andretti and guns it often causing those front tires to pull and steer.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hows the road noise vs stock? I by no means miss my MT from my Super Duty.

Mike22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Suprisingly quiet. Just a mild hum on the highway. Much more quiet than expected.
Has there been much change in acceleration, braking, etc? I worry about adding 20lbs per wheel.

OP
OP
Kpwweb

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has there been much change in acceleration, braking, etc? I worry about adding 20lbs per wheel.
There has been some due to the added mass. But with a 3 ton vehicle I am not autocrossing or anything like that. Brakes are still fine, no issues. There is about a 10% hit in mpg. But for the added piece of mind for weather and against flats, I’ll take it.

Also remeber these are truck based, not car-based station wagons. They can handle truck-based tires. I was surprised the ride was better with the load-rated tires with the same air pressure (37).

OP
OP
Kpwweb

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i doubt it. Even if diameter is fine width would hang down too low in my opinion. I would put a skinnier tire for a spare.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i doubt it. Even if diameter is fine width would hang down too low in my opinion. I would put a skinnier tire for a spare.

This would be a problem if you're towing and you need a tire that has the same load capacity as the other tires.

OP
OP
Kpwweb

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not if it were load rated like the rest. Skinnier does not necessarily equal less capacity.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the spare tire hanging down another 10mm would cause a lick of issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2