Got My Tires! - Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 285/60R20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock Goodyears were past the point of no return and wore the outside edge, even after two alignments. With the onset of rain and snow season, decided to get new tires after 43k.

Went with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 285/60R20. They are three peak rated and look stunning. They also ride better than the stock Goodyears, both tires at 37psi. A slight hum at speed, but barely noticeable.

I will also say they BARELY FIT. No rubbing, even with bumps and driveway aprons in forward and reverse. Stock wheels with stock offset. I would like to install 1/4-3/8" spacers, but I'm afraid they would rub at that point. The Z71 Tahoe is lifted with EdgyMods links as it has air suspension, probably lifted less than an 1" F + R as much more than that and the ride started suffering greatly with the air bags under more pressure.

Measurements now from ground to fender lip:
38-7/8" to 39" F, 39-1/4" Rear
(got about 3/8" lift from the tires)

20221026_155659965_iOS.jpg20221026_155709474_iOS.jpg20221026_155722150_iOS.jpg20221026_155806315_iOS.jpg20221026_155817911_iOS.jpg

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did you put on the original tires? And do you think these will still be wearing incorectly? What did the results of the alignments show, is everything within spec?

OP
OP
Kpwweb

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
43k. Had it aligned twice. First time toe & caster off. Second time toe was off on front and right rear. I think the alignment machine at the first place was not quite right, so I used a different place the second time (ultimately the place I got the tires from).

Before the tires were installed, they checked using a drive-in alignment machine. Faster but not as precise as an alignment rack. It showed my alignment was spot on.

So I hope these tires will wear much better. Some tires, especially oem, just wear funny.

The only bothersome thing was we could never get the tahoe in “Alignment Mode” no matter what we did, even following the manual. We just let it settle in to normal ride height and aligned it there.

I also have a “lifetime alignment” agreement if needed for two free alignments a year.

9876685E-D2C3-40F1-87EB-23174091622B.jpeg

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my front tires wear slightly more on the outside corners as well, original 4 year old Michelin tires with 52,000 on them, no alignments done as far as I know. You put a lot of miles on that 2021 thus far as well. When I get tires I will have an alignment done.

JR09country

Reaction score
I have an air ride suspension Tahoe as well and my tires wore the same way. My wife drive it for 4 months while we waited on her car to come in and left it in auto 4wd. I hope that's what caused the bad wear and not a bigger issue with the air ride.

OP
OP
Kpwweb

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I leave mine in 2wd mostly. I would go to a good alignment shop and have it aligned. I bet the toe is out at the very least.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an air ride suspension Tahoe as well and my tires wore the same way. My wife drive it for 4 months while we waited on her car to come in and left it in auto 4wd. I hope that's what caused the bad wear and not a bigger issue with the air ride.
Auto 4WD is no different than any vehicle with permanent full time all wheel drive. I can't see that being the cause of unusual tire wear.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tires are causing my suspension to be grossly out of alignment, but I plan on correcting that after I install my Brembo brakes and replace the tires as soon as possible.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
43k. Had it aligned twice. First time toe & caster off. Second time toe was off on front and right rear. I think the alignment machine at the first place was not quite right, so I used a different place the second time (ultimately the place I got the tires from).

Before the tires were installed, they checked using a drive-in alignment machine. Faster but not as precise as an alignment rack. It showed my alignment was spot on.

So I hope these tires will wear much better. Some tires, especially oem, just wear funny.

The only bothersome thing was we could never get the tahoe in “Alignment Mode” no matter what we did, even following the manual. We just let it settle in to normal ride height and aligned it there.

I also have a “lifetime alignment” agreement if needed for two free alignments a year.

View attachment 383898
That's quite a spread from left to right on the caster. On previous generation, that much would be out of spec. It would certainly make the ride and driving feel off. Next time around or if you have concerns, let the dealer do it. They're not anymore expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat