GMT 800 2500 Suburban Transfer Case Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, for the guys with one of these SUVs, was the NP246 the only transfer case offered in these? I imagine they must have offered manual transfer cases in the forest service and firefighter and those kinds of special spec. vehicles, no? Did they offer them with a an electric switched T-Case (non AutoTrac?)

I've got an project 2004 suburban that I'm thinking (more like daydreaming) of turning a weekend camping/off-road vehicle. Mine has the 6.0/4L80e/NP 246/4.10. She's actually perfectly fine on the drivetrain, just has a smashed hood and a bit of clear coat peeling on the roof. It was formerly a ranch vehicle.

I've also got an 8.1/Allison 2wd engine/transmission combo that I bought a few years ago thinking of swapping into my obs K3500, but I have decided not to go that route. The 8.1 happens to be from a 2004 2500HD. I've seen some guys swap a Duramax/Allison into the suburbans, but seems pretty involved. 8.1/Allison perhaps is an "easier" swap. I have to figure out the 2wd vs 4x4 thing first on the donor, and I'm missing the TCM. Doh! I've never seen that combo swapped though.

I'm trying to figure out the T-Case options...(29 of the Allison vs 33 spline count for the 4L80e)

rzabel

Reaction score
I'm following this thread as an interested observer. I hate the electric switches and would love to have a lever, but I was told it wasn't possible.

OP
OP
strutaeng

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm following this thread as an interested observer. I hate the electric switches and would love to have a lever, but I was told it wasn't possible.
There's this:

I "think" it should be the same as the GMT 800 (?) He explains the wiring. It doesn't seem that complicated honestly. Not sure on that transfer case though from a strength standpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts