GM Piston Slap website - Carbon buildup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Piston slap" usually describes pistons slapping the sides of the cylinders.

I would call this carbon knock, when the carbon builds up on the top of the piston and head, and the piston--> carbon <--head all touch ever so slightly causing noise.

When I worked for Mazda, the 929 had a recall on this. I tore down one of the first engines in 93-94.

Not sure if this is a good idea now,But in 1986 I worked at a Pontiac/Jeep dealer.We had several jeep products come in with Carbon buildup/knock
The service manager would rev the engine to about 2200rpm and pour a half glass of water slowly in the carb......it worked.

It was a long time ago but that is how I remember it........My dad used to do the same thing with ATF on old chevys.

Last edited:

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a good idea now,But in 1986 I worked at a Pontiac/Jeep dealer.We had several jeep products come in with Carbon buildup/knock
The service manager would rev the engine to about 2200rpm and pour a half glass of water slowly in the carb......it worked.

It was a long time ago but that is how I remember it........My dad used to do the same thing with ATF on old chevys.

I have done the same many times.
I love it when people tell you it will hydrolock or some other crap, then watch as I pour half a gallon right in at 4000 rpms, and I really mean pour. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011