GM Piston Slap website - Carbon buildup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does seafoam really work as much magic as everyone claims? I want to do it to my hoe this week and I hope that it helps. Will it remove a lot of the carbon buildup in the intake ane everything?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yess. it made dramatic improvement to idle quality and performance on my 2000 5.7 denali when I had it.
Took 3 cans over 5 hours to get it to stop smoking and see the biggest improvement.

OP
OP
S

schube1255

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used A whole can, dump in style in the gas, and one whole spray 18 oz. can into the throttle body and it did nothing - not a puuff of smoke - no ease of tap sound - but my engine did seem to run tighter.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt record when I did my truck, but here is my vette.
First pic is of the Hoe intake after seafoam while replacing injectors.
Second is vid of my vette starting with seafoam in it (after sitting 30 min). What you dont see is when I drive it :shocked:

CIMG0983.jpg
[/IMG]

gpracer1
[/URL][/IMG]

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically pouring Seafoam directly into the top end with the motor running will clean the top end and stop the piston slap issue? Do I understand that right?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Piston slap" usually describes pistons slapping the sides of the cylinders.

I would call this carbon knock, when the carbon builds up on the top of the piston and head, and the piston--> carbon <--head all touch ever so slightly causing noise.

When I worked for Mazda, the 929 had a recall on this. I tore down one of the first engines in 93-94.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium