Getting message?:"Tighten Gas Cap" or are you Unable to fill your tank? ! Look here !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

secakc33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright now I've changed the charcoal canister and still getting codes P0446, 1500, 2460. Gas still hard to put in. What next? Help Please.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Newbie here... Same/similar issues. I read through and I dont think I could find a solution. So I decided to take it from the top...
I have a 2005 Tahoe with horrible fuel filling issues. It does not show any codes.

I have replaced the evap valve - under the rear of the truck
I have replaced the charcoal cannister, it was bad, but apparently not the issue. (Had loose pellets)
I have verfified that the rollover valve is not stuck.
I have spliced a evap hose as it had a kink (not the problem)

So I am at a loss. I am trying to avoid the fuel tank drop, but that looks like it is my next step. I am just not sure what to look for, other than some clogs in lines?

ALso, the purge valve on the intake has not been changed, but it seems that is more related to evap codes rather than fuel fill-up issues. I could be wrong.

I REALLY need some help here! - Thanks Dan

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLVED - Well, if anybody cares I found the issues. As I mentioned previously I had changed a few parts already and no luck. So I decided to drop the tank and check for a crimp or clog in the evap lines. I blew some air through the lines and out shot the small charcoal beads that were from the inside the charcoal cannister. Then I put some carb cleaner just to be sure and then replaced all of the hoses and tank. Now it fills like a dream.

VICDBOSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOLVED - Well, if anybody cares I found the issues. As I mentioned previously I had changed a few parts already and no luck. So I decided to drop the tank and check for a crimp or clog in the evap lines. I blew some air through the lines and out shot the small charcoal beads that were from the inside the charcoal cannister. Then I put some carb cleaner just to be sure and then replaced all of the hoses and tank. Now it fills like a dream.

Thanks for the update. I'll definitely help others[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score

UGH wish i thought about trying this before! I've replaced the fuel pump and had the tank dropped. I'll give this a try. Do you know what hose it was? Or did you just follow the one coming off the canister?

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ugh i hope i dont have to drop the tank. i replaced the solenoid/valve already and have a charcoal canister coming in saturday that im going to replace. truck will be ready for a fill up after that so ill try it. if it doesnt fill up im gunna take it home and drop the damn tank lol.

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly not a bad job to drop the tank. Jack it up some to be able to work under it loosen some of the hose clamps and then the tank straps and it'll slide down.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
canister replaced. been bout 3 weeks and now the wife says that after she pumps gas, the tahoe has a issue like it doesn't want to start for about a couple seconds.

any one else have this issue?

plus engine light came back on!! please help!!!

This issue has nothing to do with the carbon canister, that issue has to do with your fuel pump. My SUV stated doing the same thing everytime I would fuel it up and once I change the fuel pump it never did it again

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly not a bad job to drop the tank. Jack it up some to be able to work under it loosen some of the hose clamps and then the tank straps and it'll slide down.

Yea it wasn't bad. Just lowered it enough to get to the connections since it was a bit over half full. After the canister went on and didn't fix I lowered it. the canister was spilling the pellets everywhere so i figured it was probably ***** in the lines too.

Blew them out with air and massive amounts of charcoal came out.

Filled it up no issue after but the pump was a bit slow. Going to drive it this week and burn the gas out and try again.

dropping the spare gives you so much room to work under the back of it. i had it on some drive up ramps and was just sitting under the rear working on everything. it was nice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal