Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Routing the transmission cooler direct is a good idea, but my worry with that is for the winter when there is benefit to warming the fluid a bit from cold. But, I could also add a thermostatic control valve in the circuit, I suppose.

Fans are still programmed to come on at the factory temps. I bought the 700w fan motor for the drivers side, along with the correct fan blade, and will install both this weekend.

Thanks for offering some good ideas.

As i have had to tweak this upgrade "twice", I have found that you can R&R the drivers side fan/motor assy without dumping the coolant. Simply remove the fan support upper bolts and lean the shroud aft, This will give you enough room to remove the fan snap ring and fan and then the 3 fan motor bolts and re'assemble in reverse order without dealing with the coolant. Use "extreme caution" with your tools in the radiator area as "any" comtact with the radiator fins will dent/damage your "beautiful new radiator". The passenger side is "doable" also but i dont advise it, It is just to tight and you will dent the radiator fins. But you now have a draincock, What a great idea! Any GMC design engineers/FST reading this now?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As i have had to tweak this upgrade "twice", I have found that you can R&R the drivers side fan/motor assy without dumping the coolant. Simply remove the fan support upper bolts and lean the shroud aft, This will give you enough room to remove the fan snap ring and fan and then the 3 fan motor bolts and re'assemble in reverse order without dealing with the coolant. Use "extreme caution" with your tools in the radiator area as "any" comtact with the radiator fins will dent/damage your "beautiful new radiator". The passenger side is "doable" also but i dont advise it, It is just to tight and you will dent the radiator fins. But you now have a draincock, What a great idea! Any GMC design engineers/FST reading this now?
Thank you, John. That's timely and helpful info. I'll be tearing into this project this evening.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mishimoto has a draincock on the lower left(driver) side...
It seems like great idea, but I'm not sure how I'd ever get to it to
use it. It does have an anode built into it.. so that may be it's only purpose,
because to use it as a drain would be be very difficult at best

2007YukonXL

Reaction score
>After reading a bunch of posts from all of you, especially @kbuskill's experience with his Cold Case,

Where oh where is the @kbuskill's experience with his Cold Case thread??? I tried a search of all of his posts...that dude sure knows his hitS on this SUV...I learned everything about the SUV from stem to stern but I could not find the post on the modifications to do the Cold Case install...so I am man enough to admit...

!!!Oh @kbuskill PLEASE HEP Me Out Bro!!!

I got to the part where I am sliding the radiator into the core support and hear "clunk". After dropping the appropriate number of F-Bombs on the target I thought I would throw out a life line and ask the forum where exactly do I cut away on the truck to get the radiator to fit.

While I wait for a response I will try to squeeze up between the core support and the engine to see if I can locate the areas of the truck to "massage".

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
>After reading a bunch of posts from all of you, especially @kbuskill's experience with his Cold Case,

Where oh where is the @kbuskill's experience with his Cold Case thread??? I tried a search of all of his posts...that dude sure knows his hitS on this SUV...I learned everything about the SUV from stem to stern but I could not find the post on the modifications to do the Cold Case install...so I am man enough to admit...

!!!Oh @kbuskill PLEASE HEP Me Out Bro!!!

I got to the part where I am sliding the radiator into the core support and hear "clunk". After dropping the appropriate number of F-Bombs on the target I thought I would throw out a life line and ask the forum where exactly do I cut away on the truck to get the radiator to fit.

While I wait for a response I will try to squeeze up between the core support and the engine to see if I can locate the areas of the truck to "massage".

I didn't massage the core support at all.

I trimmed the sides of the upper radiator mounts to fit under the core support.

This is the only pic I can find...
rps20210417_182706_859.jpg

The only other thing that required trimming was the fan shroud to allow it to sit flush against the radiator.

And don't forget to add a restrictor in the surge tank port on the radiator.

Here is a link to the post in my build thread where the radiator was installed...
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...rb-ltz-mod-thread.100141/page-84#post-1524668

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: got a Derale 13960 on the way that I’ll mount below the bumper in the space behind the lower grille. This will hopefully solve the problem of the Trucool reducing airflow through the radiator and with the cold case radiator, keep both my transmission and coolant temps low when towing in 90°+ heat this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Update: got a Derale 13960 on the way that I’ll mount below the bumper in the space behind the lower grille. This will hopefully solve the problem of the Trucool reducing airflow through the radiator and with the cold case radiator, keep both my transmission and coolant temps low when towing in 90°+ heat this summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just a couple pic's for some mounting ideas. The hinges that mount from the back of the sub bumper to the top of the DERALE allow infinite angle adjustment to get it as close to the ram air of the lower grill opening, They also allow for a front impact with an obstacle and possibly survive by allowing the cooler to swing back without breaking.

056.JPG 057.JPG 058.JPG View attachment 277006 063.JPG 006.JPG

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just a couple pic's for some mounting ideas. The hinges that mount from the back of the sub bumper to the top of the DERALE allow infinite angle adjustment to get it as close to the ram air of the lower grill opening, They also allow for a front impact with an obstacle and possibly survive by allowing the cooler to swing back without breaking.

View attachment 277000 View attachment 277001 View attachment 277002 View attachment 277006 View attachment 277007 View attachment 277008
Fantastic! Thank you! You addressed several of the questions in my head, including how you modded the lower grille for airflow. Your timing is perfect as well - I’ll be installing the Derale this weekend.

Where did you end up tapping in for power? And did you have hoses fabbed up or use the ones that came with the unit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE